Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice adjusting fixed sights on Sig P226 9mm

JGus

I put this in the "Gun smithing" section but haven't had any responses, so thought I'd also post it here:

I was shooting a brand new Sig P226 9mm with fixed night sights that I purchased recently but haven't yet shot until now. I'm thinking of eventually shooting it in USPSA Production. I have cleaned it and re-oiled it before I shot it for first time.

The gun was shooting way to the right. From 15 yards I couldn't even hit an 18" diameter target when holding on the bullseye. I was shooting a tight group, they were all just hitting dead right of the target. My nephew shot the gun and had the same problem. I was also shooting two other guns that were hitting close to dead center on same target.

I'm not a great shot, but I'm not that bad! I was shooting WWB 9mm, but even from 15 yards it shouldn't completely miss the target to the right. When myself and others looked at the rear sight, you could visually see it was slightly off center to the right.

The elevation was basically perfect. Obviously I need to move the sights to the left to adjust it from shooting so far to the right.

I've never attempted to adjust fixed sights. I know I can buy a fixed sight adjustment tool, but I'd rather not have to spend over $100 just to move the sight slightly left. Is this easily accomplished with a small hammer and a brass punch set for a fixed sight novice like me? I thought it would be better to ask before I tried it, kind of like the old saying "measure twice, cut once." Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ive installed, removed, and adj sights on my 226's. I used an aluminum punch I got from dawson. Its not a big deal. A tip though, completely cover up your punch including the end of it with electrical tape, that way if it slips, it won't scratch your slide our your sight, and mark where your sight is now with a sharpie pen so you can tell how much you move it.

You can also go on youtube and search for dawson precision, he has great videos on how to fit and install sights.

Edited by Gunfighter01

Also...you should use a vice to secure your slide. Make sure the jaws are smooth and covered with duct tape so you dont scratch your slide. Also, make sure which ever end your working on is inside the jaws, if it's hanging out on the end, you can actually bend your slide. They show you all of this stuff on his videos

• 1 month later...

I put this in the "Gun smithing" section but haven't had any responses, so thought I'd also post it here:

I was shooting a brand new Sig P226 9mm with fixed night sights that I purchased recently but haven't yet shot until now. I'm thinking of eventually shooting it in USPSA Production. I have cleaned it and re-oiled it before I shot it for first time.

The gun was shooting way to the right. From 15 yards I couldn't even hit an 18" diameter target when holding on the bullseye. I was shooting a tight group, they were all just hitting dead right of the target. My nephew shot the gun and had the same problem. I was also shooting two other guns that were hitting close to dead center on same target.

I'm not a great shot, but I'm not that bad! I was shooting WWB 9mm, but even from 15 yards it shouldn't completely miss the target to the right. When myself and others looked at the rear sight, you could visually see it was slightly off center to the right.

The elevation was basically perfect. Obviously I need to move the sights to the left to adjust it from shooting so far to the right.

I've never attempted to adjust fixed sights. I know I can buy a fixed sight adjustment tool, but I'd rather not have to spend over $100 just to move the sight slightly left. Is this easily accomplished with a small hammer and a brass punch set for a fixed sight novice like me? I thought it would be better to ask before I tried it, kind of like the old saying "measure twice, cut once." Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.