Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I load ..40 minor with hs-6?

daverich

It will be with a mg 165 cmf. I have only been loading a few months. I have heard if too little powder it can go boom instead of burn? I have a bunch of hs-6 is why I'm asking instead of just using something reccomended in other posts.

Thanks David

I would not suggest it due to how filthy dirty it would be. While it might be possible to do it HS6 burns cleaner at higher pressures but is very grainy and badly burning at lower ones. It would look like some one threw a handful of sand into your gun after not too many rounds fired and that would more likely than nor effect your accuracy.

Brian

+1 on Clays for .40 minor.

What is the definition of 40 minor? Where does the power factor start? Is 164 PF minor? I would like to know as I have heard the term, but I am unsure of the qualifications.

125.0 to 164.99999999.

You will find that a lot of minor loads that will still operate your gun with a stock recoil spring will come out about 140-145 power factor with an 180grn bullet (or indeed most bullet weights). About 3.1grns of Clays and 180grn bullet will be about there. This will still be a very mild shooting load. Striving for the absolute bottom of 125-130 power factor will most likely result in some malfunctions from your gun. You could do a lot of tinkering with spring weights and other things but with a fairly stock gun trying to go too low will be troublesome.