Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Third Match, how did I do?

Allfat

Looks great for a new shooter. Its hard to tell without being there and not being able to see the targets but it looks like if you would have gotten in the correct position you could have pick up more targets from a single shooting position. On the first stage when you went to the left side you shot from 3 positions. The video makes it look like you could have cleared the whole array of targets from 1 or 2 positions but its hard to say without seeing the targets myself.

Looks great for a new shooter. Its hard to tell without being there and not being able to see the targets but it looks like if you would have gotten in the correct position you could have pick up more targets from a single shooting position. On the first stage when you went to the left side you shot from 3 positions. The video makes it look like you could have cleared the whole array of targets from 1 or 2 positions but its hard to say without seeing the targets myself.

Yeah, I think you are right. I was the first shooter on the first stage of the day, and I was not really in it mentally when I got going. I was having trouble picking up the sights also because the sun was in front of me and I think it was putting a shadow on the dots of my sights.

Thanks for the tip!

Tell the person filming you to follow right behind the RO and attempt to get your gun/hands and the targets you are shooting at in the video at the same time. This really helps you see what you are doing when you replay the videos.

As far as tips...

Learn to get the reload done right away, then start moving, when you drag the reload up over a few steps it actually slows you downs, since your foot speed is being dictated by the reload, instead of by you trying to move fast.

Always attempt to find locations where you can shoot multiple targets from one place and avoid getting "closer" to an array when its really not needed. For example. in the last stage, you moved like 3 feet to the right, to shoot the 3rd to last array, the moved a good 6 feet to the left to shoot the 2nd to last array. Unless it is absolutely neccessary to see the targets, moving 3 feet really doesn't make a shot any easier... but it does cause you to waste time moving(people have said each step is approx 0.2 seconds when you are moving at a fast pace) which you weren't doing... so realistically, you probably could have been a couple/few seconds faster on that stage, if you didn't zigzag, but rather moved straight up range, and just turned your body to shoot.

Also, engage targets from low to high, instead of high to low(when on top eachother). The reason for this, when you get on the low target first, you are lifting your front post onto the top target...you can see your front post, and you can see the target.. so you can be aiming while moving. If you shoot the top first and DROP down onto the bottom target, your gun covers up the target/scoring zone and it takes more time to see the scoring zone/get your front post on it.

You are doing really good... and it seems(from shooting steel) that you are an accurate shooter...don't be scared to push yourself to go faster, especially when not shooting... you should be running, not walking. But always remember, never sacrifice points for shooting faster.. its not worth it.

Mike.

Edited by mikeg1005

Tell the person filming you to follow right behind the RO and attempt to get your gun/hands and the targets you are shooting at in the video at the same time. This really helps you see what you are doing when you replay the videos.

You are right, that would help a lot more. I will keep that in mind for next time, thanks.

I think I am going to set up a head-cam for next time as well. I have a cheap one that I bought a couple years ago when I worked for a company that made them and I got a smoking deal. That should help as well seeing the specifics of my gun handling up close.

As far as tips...

Learn to get the reload done right away, then start moving, when you drag the reload up over a few steps it actually slows you downs, since your foot speed is being dictated by the reload, instead of by you trying to move fast.

Always attempt to find locations where you can shoot multiple targets from one place and avoid getting "closer" to an array when its really not needed. For example. in the last stage, you moved like 3 feet to the right, to shoot the 3rd to last array, the moved a good 6 feet to the left to shoot the 2nd to last array. Unless it is absolutely neccessary to see the targets, moving 3 feet really doesn't make a shot any easier... but it does cause you to waste time moving(people have said each step is approx 0.2 seconds when you are moving at a fast pace) which you weren't doing... so realistically, you probably could have been a couple/few seconds faster on that stage, if you didn't zigzag, but rather moved straight up range, and just turned your body to shoot.

Also, engage targets from low to high, instead of high to low(when on top eachother). The reason for this, when you get on the low target first, you are lifting your front post onto the top target...you can see your front post, and you can see the target.. so you can be aiming while moving. If you shoot the top first and DROP down onto the bottom target, your gun covers up the target/scoring zone and it takes more time to see the scoring zone/get your front post on it.

You are doing really good... and it seems(from shooting steel) that you are an accurate shooter...don't be scared to push yourself to go faster, especially when not shooting... you should be running, not walking. But always remember, never sacrifice points for shooting faster.. its not worth it.

Mike.

One question, on the reload thing. Right now, I am kind of split my attention between reloading and getting to the next station. Are you suggesting to focus on the reload first, then run to the next station?

The movement tip makes sense to me, as well as engaging targets low to high. I was starting to think about that as I went because when I was aiming at the top target, I could not see the bottom one. But if I aimed at the lower target, then I could see the top one in my peripheral which allowed me to pick it up much faster.

Thanks for the tips Mike, I appreciate your input, and it all makes sense.

Wholeheartedly agree you are looking good for only third match. Seems like you can hit what you want and that is something many new shooters struggle with. The speed will come little by little if you are persistent. Also agree with the reload technique mentioned above. Pop that reload good. Then all attention on muzzle control/obstacle avoiding and moving to your next spot. I saw huge time gains from doing that every time I reload, and I didn't really go faster, so to speak, just makes moving more efficient really.

If you scrub two seconds off each move and reload sequence, it adds up fast. After the reload sequence, I've been working on being ready to shoot as soon as I stop moving in the new location, having the gun up and ready before I get where I want to be. The cool thing is all this stuff doesn't focus on shooting faster, but doing all the other stuff more efficiently.

I'm new too so my advice is pretty much passed on from better shooters at my club. It's good stuff though and works, amazingly well actually.

Wholeheartedly agree you are looking good for only third match. Seems like you can hit what you want and that is something many new shooters struggle with. The speed will come little by little if you are persistent. Also agree with the reload technique mentioned above. Pop that reload good. Then all attention on muzzle control/obstacle avoiding and moving to your next spot. I saw huge time gains from doing that every time I reload, and I didn't really go faster, so to speak, just makes moving more efficient really.

If you scrub two seconds off each move and reload sequence, it adds up fast. After the reload sequence, I've been working on being ready to shoot as soon as I stop moving in the new location, having the gun up and ready before I get where I want to be. The cool thing is all this stuff doesn't focus on shooting faster, but doing all the other stuff more efficiently.

I'm new too so my advice is pretty much passed on from better shooters at my club. It's good stuff though and works, amazingly well actually.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate all the pointers.

One question, on the reload thing. Right now, I am kind of split my attention between reloading and getting to the next station. Are you suggesting to focus on the reload first, then run to the next station?

Exactly... the reload should realistically be done in the first step... then the rest is just moving.

Not only will this speed up your movement(becuase you aren't thinking about reloading) but it will also help speed up your reload since you will focus on getting it done faster.

MIke.

Edited by mikeg1005