Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st focal plane vs. 2nd focal plane?

zhunter

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a great article on this topic on the snipershide homepage this month.

The focus of that discussion is pertinent to long range shooting, and this discussion pertains to 3-gun scopes. Apples and oranges. For the most part, 3-gun scopes are used at either the lowest setting or the highest. That changes things a lot.

The focus of that discussion is pertinent to long range shooting, and this discussion pertains to 3-gun scopes. Apples and oranges. For the most part, 3-gun scopes are used at either the lowest setting or the highest. That changes things a lot.

I disagree with part of what you said. I don't just use 1x and 6x on my scope. I find myself using 1.5, 2x 3x 4x and 6x dependingon the stage. The only one I have not used is 5x

Pat

I disagree with part of what you said. I don't just use 1x and 6x on my scope. I find myself using 1.5, 2x 3x 4x and 6x dependingon the stage. The only one I have not used is 5x

Pat

Me Too and thats what I like about the FFP I can set the X Factor at what works best for the stage. Now that I am running a new SFP scope I will try and track how offten I shoot it at 1/2 power.

I stand corrected. I assume you are using holdovers? It might be worth going into some details about this because this is at the heart of the debate.

I stand corrected. I assume you are using holdovers? It might be worth going into some details about this because this is at the heart of the debate.

I am using the lower powers (1, 1.5,2,3,4 etc) inside of 300 yards where I don't need my hold overs yet. When I need to shoot long where hold overs are an issue I use 6x. I do have a range card set up for 4x in case the need arised but it hasnot yet. I generally set my magnifiation on the make ready command after glassing the targets for optimal field of view.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I am using the lower powers (1, 1.5,2,3,4 etc) inside of 300 yards where I don't need my hold overs yet. When I need to shoot long where hold overs are an issue I use 6x.

If you are not using holdovers at the lower powers, then I don't follow why you believe that a FFP is preferable.