Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for feedback...bad day

rpcruab

I shot an IDPA match Sunday and felt "out of focus" all day. I am trying to pinpoint problems via head cam video, as I can't remember much from the actual match. :lol: Any advice is appreciated!

Edited by rpcruab

Looks good to me.

- Where’s your left thumb? Is it tight to the gun? Hard to see from the camera angle. Might want to take another look at your grip/thumb positions.

- Again might be the camera angle, but all reloads look like you lower the gun too far and might not rotate enough, are you seeing somewhat into the magwell? After the mag is seated does the gun move more out than up into position or up than out? Point being keeping it higher will allow it to enter your field of view sooner and get on target sooner if it is already near eye level and you are just pushing it out vice coming into view from a lower position.

- Looks like you might be crowding the barricades in a few instances causing you to break your arm/gun triangle. Along with this, are you ready to shoot when you enter a position? Gun up and on target?

- And the hardest thing I struggle with: your movements/gun manipulations don't look urgent. Move like everything is on fire. Control the speed when shooting but do everything else as fast as possible.

IDPA: - shooter/stage bust: All reloads begin and end behind cover, not so much on one of the stages.

- Stage bust: Threats should not be positioned to allow shoot throughs; the left to right mover looks like it crosses in front of other threats (or maybe it’s just the camera angle).

No expert,

David E.

SSP MA that shoots more like a EX.

I shot an IDPA match Sunday and felt "out of focus" all day. I am trying to pinpoint problems via head cam video, as I can't remember much from the actual match. :lol:

Do you remember calling any shots?

:D

Looks good to me.

- Where’s your left thumb? Is it tight to the gun? Hard to see from the camera angle. Might want to take another look at your grip/thumb positions.

- Again might be the camera angle, but all reloads look like you lower the gun too far and might not rotate enough, are you seeing somewhat into the magwell? After the mag is seated does the gun move more out than up into position or up than out? Point being keeping it higher will allow it to enter your field of view sooner and get on target sooner if it is already near eye level and you are just pushing it out vice coming into view from a lower position.

- Looks like you might be crowding the barricades in a few instances causing you to break your arm/gun triangle. Along with this, are you ready to shoot when you enter a position? Gun up and on target?

- And the hardest thing I struggle with: your movements/gun manipulations don't look urgent. Move like everything is on fire. Control the speed when shooting but do everything else as fast as possible.

IDPA: - shooter/stage bust: All reloads begin and end behind cover, not so much on one of the stages.

- Stage bust: Threats should not be positioned to allow shoot throughs; the left to right mover looks like it crosses in front of other threats (or maybe it’s just the camera angle).

No expert,

David E.

SSP MA that shoots more like a EX.

My left thumb is tight to the gun, although contact area is minimal. I feel "normal" when gripping a 1911/cz/sig with right hand thumb resting on the saftey, (in which case my left thumb extends further and makes more contact. I cannot rest my thumb on the slide release on my competition gun (springfield xdm) and end up tucking everything between that and the trigger guard. :blush: Maybe I should develop a new technique?

Reloads had seemed to be a strong point up until this match. I was typically dropping the gun slightly and maintaining a visual of my next target. I always rotate the gun a good bit and then push out instead of up for the most part. It almost seems as though I am regressing! :lol: I absolutely LOVE all the advice I've been getting, I just jot down suggestions pointers in a journal and take that to the range for practice. Mag changes will be a point to reestablish.

Thought provoking point on crowding barricades and being ready to shoot. Now that you mention it, I don't think I am ready to shoot when coming around barricades. I seem to "creep" around the corner, and the sights seem to rise up diagonally left or right to target, then I'm ready. This doesn't seem to be an issue for me when shooting USPSA. I suppose I am afraid of receiving a procedural for cover...so much that I slow down around corners and allow my sights to "creep" to the target. I suppose I could back up a bit and shuffle/lean while slicing the pie...and I can acquire position while maintaining sight picture. (GOING TO HAVE TO PRACTICE!) :lol:

In regards to lack of urgency, (which there certainly is a lack of), once again, I believe I am subconsciously slowing down to avoid penalties. I think it probably has a lot to do with the mental disconnection I was feeling that day as well. Helps to hear it from someone else, and makes me want to really work on speeding up movements/transitions. I am ordering the BE's book this week, and will be studying my rear off. :lol:

I shot an IDPA match Sunday and felt "out of focus" all day. I am trying to pinpoint problems via head cam video, as I can't remember much from the actual match. :lol:

Do you remember calling any shots?

:D

I do! There was a fine line there though. :roflol:

Despite all the mistakes I made that day, and my "out of focus" mindset, I can at least say that I was safe, fairly accurate, and had a great time with great people!