Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Importing online match registrations into PractiScore

Xfactor

My club doesn't currently have online registration, so I'm looking to set something up from scratch... I did a search and found some info (a few months old now) on how some folks have accomplished this, but typically it involved using EWS as an intermediary (i.e. export from an online registration system into EWS, then export out of EWS to PractiScore).

What is currently the easiest process to use in order to set up online registration, and export/import directly into PractiScore before the match, such that additional registrations can be added the morning of the match for walk-ons, etc.?

Depends..if you want a place online for them to go register you could use one of those options.... If the are just emailing you, then u could just register right on PS.

I do all our registrations on ps....only time we use ez win is to post to uspsa

Depends..if you want a place online for them to go register you could use one of those options.... If the are just emailing you, then u could just register right on PS.

I do all our registrations on ps....only time we use ez win is to post to uspsa

Agreed - I'd like to limit EWS use to final scores submission only.

Registering users one at a time as they send an e-mail is certainly doable, but I'd really rather let an online system aggregate all the per-registrations, and then export from whatever online system to a text file, and import that into PS... if that's feasible.

Use shoot'n'scoreit to let people register and squad themselves, then export to ezws. Do a classification update there, and then export to practiscore. Both Cherokee Gun Club and Riverbend Gun Club here in the Georgia section are doing that with great success. And Cherokee typically gets around 100 competitors a month, so they know what they're doing.

What is the output of Shoot n Score? PS can import txt files, but I'm not sure how things would need to be formatted...

I saw in another thread that Ken from PS indicated that they were committed to making PractiScore work directly with various online registration tools; the last post on this was a few months ago, so I was hoping something promising had been devised by this point.

Edited by Xfactor

I used a form to collect registrations on my website. It exported as a Excel / CSV file.

PractiScore can import registration in two forms. The first is the PSS.txt format used for the ezWinScore / Palm system.

The one I use when collecting registrations from the website (or from mailed applications) is a more flexible format.

PS Reg Import CSV

- the file must have a header row with one or more of the column headers described below

- the order of column headers doesn't matter

- column headers may be upper-case, lower-case, or mixed

Column Headers:

USPSA Number - header must contain "uspsa"

First Name - header must contain "first" and "name"

Last Name - header must contain "last" and "name"

Name - first and last name may be combined in one column with a header containing "name"

Email - header must contain "email"

Phone - header must contain "phone"

Squad - header must contain "squad"

Age - header must contain "age". If values don't contain "junior" or "senior" then adult is assumed.

Gender - header must contain "sex", "gender", or "female". If values contain "lady" or "female" it's female.

Division - header must contain "pistol" or "division"

Power Factor - header must contain "power" and "factor"

Class - header must contain "class"

Special Categories - header must contain "special" or "categor". Values may contain "law", "mil", and/or "foreign"

I would load my registrations each day or so into a Foxbase database. Then I would export from that database to a CSV or TSV file using the column headers above. Pretty simple.

Ken N.

What is the output of Shoot n Score? PS can import txt files, but I'm not sure how things would need to be formatted...

I saw in another thread that Ken from PS indicated that they were committed to making PractiScore work directly with various online registration tools; the last post on this was a few months ago, so I was hoping something promising had been devised by this point.

You export and load into ezws, then go from there to ps, I believe.

You can use the tool located at http://tinymicros.com/ssi2ezws/ to convert SSI's EZWS file to something that EZWS can actually import. SSI has several problems with the files it produces, and this will fix them. These include not generating correct entries for Limited 10 and Single Stack, phone numbers that cause problems (the tool removes them entirely), forcing Production division to minor power factor (SSI will let you change the division, and then not automatically correct the power factor), fixes the case of people's names (for those people that use all upper or lower case), and generates a correct USPSA number.

We've used this for several matches without any issues (one with 105 shooters). If you have any issues, please use the email contact link on the page, and I'll help your through any issues. With the README file that's included and the instructions on the web page, if I've done my job right, you should be able to get through it with no problems.

--jc

Sounds like at this point, using EWS as an itermediary is still the easiest way to go... (JC - thanks for your work in putting together a nice web tool to convert the SSI exports to make them better import into EWS!)

Ken, when you get PS to directly accept SSI exports (or some other online pre-registration system), this process will take an appreciable leap forward.

Edited by Xfactor

• 3 weeks later...

cellguy - do you generally have walk-ons the morning of the match (who did not pre-register)? If so, how do you handle them?

We had an issue getting our registrations imported into EWS this month, and I think it was related to handling the pre-registrations in EWS. (We then exported them to PS, added walk-on shooters the morning of the match, and were unable to import back into EWS).

The previous month, we did not use EWS for any pre-registrations, and had no problem importing PS registrations into EWS...

cellguy - do you generally have walk-ons the morning of the match (who did not pre-register)? If so, how do you handle them?

We had an issue getting our registrations imported into EWS this month, and I think it was related to handling the pre-registrations in EWS. (We then exported them to PS, added walk-on shooters the morning of the match, and were unable to import back into EWS).

The previous month, we did not use EWS for any pre-registrations, and had no problem importing PS registrations into EWS...

we dont do ANY registration in ezws... just started with SSI and is working well. to your question, yes we handle walkups in PS. the basic flow is now online reg with SSI ( i close registration at midnight the night before ) and then the morning of the match i export to ezws and then export to PS. once in PS all we do is goto edit shooters/squads and add new shooter. you wouldnt know they were a walkon. once the match is up and running if we have a late arrival we use the add walkon/shoot thru or whatever its called now from the handled. as far as importing back into ezws from PS we have found the only reliable way is to use the Practiscore exporter posted on PS home webpage. it finds the master device over wifi and pulls the info it needs for ezws.

hope this helps

Andrew

we dont do ANY registration in ezws... just started with SSI and is working well. to your question, yes we handle walkups in PS. the basic flow is now online reg with SSI ( i close registration at midnight the night before ) and then the morning of the match i export to ezws and then export to PS. once in PS all we do is goto edit shooters/squads and add new shooter. you wouldnt know they were a walkon. once the match is up and running if we have a late arrival we use the add walkon/shoot thru or whatever its called now from the handled. as far as importing back into ezws from PS we have found the only reliable way is to use the Practiscore exporter posted on PS home webpage. it finds the master device over wifi and pulls the info it needs for ezws.

hope this helps

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - I'll try the PractiScore Exporter utility. (I came across it recently, but I just assumed it was a way to get files off the PS device and onto a PC... I didn't realize it had additional capabilities in terms of facilitating the actual import into EWS!)

I have been wondering how others were making out with importing PS files into EWS, because this part of the process has been a struggle for me in the few months working with PS.

• 3 weeks later...

hope this helps

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - I'll try the PractiScore Exporter utility. (I came across it recently, but I just assumed it was a way to get files off the PS device and onto a PC... I didn't realize it had additional capabilities in terms of facilitating the actual import into EWS!)

I have been wondering how others were making out with importing PS files into EWS, because this part of the process has been a struggle for me in the few months working with PS.

As it turned out, the import problem I was having was related to one of my shooters' names having a comma in the last name (e.g. LastName, Jr.). Devin at PractiScore figured it out, and once the comma was removed, the registration imported properly.

It's worth noting that the PS export utility only moves files from the scoring device to a computer - it doesn't do anything additional to assist with tweaking the files to facilitate import.

<snip>

As it turned out, the import problem I was having was related to one of my shooters' names having a comma in the last name (e.g. LastName, Jr.). Devin at PractiScore figured it out, and once the comma was removed, the registration imported properly.

It's worth noting that the PS export utility only moves files from the scoring device to a computer - it doesn't do anything additional to assist with tweaking the files to facilitate import.

Just for the record, this is in no way a Practiscore issue. EzWinScore has a number of areas that have problems with commas. I strongly recommend avoiding the use of commas in stage names and shooter names. They this will be fixed in EZWS (http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-match-upload.php), until it's been fully proven to work, just don't.

Remember that EZWS allows exporting files, and if you can't export it as a TAB separated value file (TSV), you may have fun fixing things up if you import in to Excel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been playing around with this for a while tonight. Everthing works fine except can't get Super Senior recognized (does OK with Junior and Senior), and it won't recognize female. Using PS android 1.0.12.

Any suggestions?

PS Reg Import CSV

Age - header must contain "age". If values don't contain "junior" or "senior" then adult is assumed.

Gender - header must contain "sex", "gender", or "female". If values contain "lady" or "female" it's female.

Ken N.

Yes, use shootnscoreit.com along with Chris Wren's shoot'n'score it to ezwinscore match file converter available at http://tinymicros.com/ssi2ezws/. This process bring over all the age categories and squadding choices into ezws. Then you can simply export from there to practiscore and go. Plus shootnscoreit lets you post stage descriptions, can be set up to take entry fees, and gives you an email facility to communicate with your competitors ahead of time.