Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drilling and tapping bolt release

Aristotle

I haven't heard anything about anyone doing this, but has anyone drilled and tapped their 930 bolt release yet? I'm thinking about ordering an Arrendondo oversized bolt release and fitting it on my 930. Any insight on potential issues with doing this?

I think he posted the same on the huge 930 thread. I wonder if you could use a coarse thread screw and pack the inside with JB weld or something. :surprise: OK that's pretty bad...

I saw a pic of an oversize release on a shotgun that may work. I cant remember what gun it was but it was a sheet metal type thing that attached to the reciever toward the mag tube.

I saw a pic of an oversize release on a shotgun that may work. I cant remember what gun it was but it was a sheet metal type thing that attached to the reciever toward the mag tube.

You're probably thinking of the Dave's Metal Works "Speedbar".

Cheers,

C

I had mine apart to fit and polish it (shell release). If I remember correctly, the button is hollow and is cast. If I were going to try to install a larger button I would:

- drill it for clearance of the stud; not enough material to tap.

- Epoxy a nut/insert or other female fastener into the hollow area.

- install the larger button and file/grind off any excess male thread on the indie of the release.

I had considered getting a spare and giving this a try but after using it a while I don't see an advantage that outweighed the possibility of it breaking during a stage.

Just don't let that baby go dry!

It would be nice if someone like Nordic made an upgrade kit with a new shell release with a larger button and a stronger spring to improve hand cycling. I think they would sell a ton on them.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401