Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popper Calibration

Big Guy

You even highlighted the relevant language in Red above:

4.3.1.5.2. That the calibration will be done from a point on the COF where the calibration zone is available, closest to where the contested shot was fired.

Two requirements: That the calibration be available, and that once that requirement is fulfilled, the RM goes to a spot that is as close as possible to the location from which the competitor fired....

Moving things is tricky, very tricky, because you need to be certain that you can put them back the way they were, and care must be taken not to disturb the popper. This also takes time. The side step would be the best idea, when feasible....

Nik,

With the greatest respect, it may actually be three requirements; don't forget "from a point on the COF" - which got me wondering...

4.3.1.5.2. That the calibration will be done from a point on the COF where the calibration zone is available, closest to where the contested shot was fired.

compared to:

That the calibration will be done from a point where the calibration zone is available, closest to where the contested shot was fired.

What's the difference? Why is "...on the COF..." a necessary inclusion? It must have a specific, necessary, and non-redundant meaning, otherwise it would have been omitted. What if the calibration was done from a point off the COF where the calibration zone is available, closest to where the contested shot was fired? What does that even mean? Whatever it means, 4.3.1.5.2 clearly doesn't allow it. So... what is it disallowing/prohibiting (requiring) that wasn't already required by the rule?

It seems that one may reasonably argue that the only purpose for including "...on the COF..." in 4.3.1.5.2 is so that the calibration is done from a point in the shooting area (no side-stepping outside the shooting area allowed). The inclusion of "...on the COF..." disallows/prohibits the calibration from being done from a point outside the shooting area.

No trouble intended here - just a logical/philosophical rulebook exercise.

Best,

ac

The rules also state that the RM designate a specific handgun, and the ammo for calibration SHOULD make a PF of 115 to 125. Since none of the matches I shoot follow that requirement, when asked to perform a calibration, I try to aim at the bottom of the calibration zone. I know my ammo is 132 pf, so I feel like aiming at the bottom of the calibration zone is the best thing I can do to compensate for the fact that my ammo is a higher PF than the rulebook recommends for performing a calibration on steel.

I would think an awful lot of speculation and just plain guessing is involved with that method. I know it's the best we can probably come up with in a local match but I wonder if there is a more scientific method.

I doubt it since most still argue over which bullet weight imparts more energy onto a popper. Heck I'm not surprised somebody has not tried to argue a calibration result based on a heavier bullet being used.

We have calibration ammo that I made up for our club, that runs just under 125 PF through my factory G34 bbls, and even less through the typically shorter and slower standardly rifled bbls in most other stock guns.

It gives me the luxury of aiming at the middle. I'm getting up there and the eyes prove it, so using ammo in the recommended range cuts me the accuracy slack I need. :lol: