Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xfive vs w german 226 ergonomics

sdfmacross2

Long time viewer here and just got around to registering. I have an old west german sig p226 with GGI work and was inquiring about the xfive ergos. What are the differences. I see that the mag release is a little more out. I have no prob with mag changes with my current gun. There is no shop around here for me to check it out. Also how flat is it shooting 9mm to 40. I shoot atlanta 147gr and how does 40 minor compare to that?

The X-5 with the same grips as your P226 will feel exactly the same as far as grip shape. The X-5 is much heavier at around 45 oz, and a lot of that weight is in the muzzle end of the gun. The weight distribution is very different from your alloy frame P226. If you have ever handled an all stainless P226, the X-5 is a lot closer to that gun, although a little more muzzle heavy. The grip, decocker position, slide release, width, trigger reach, are all at the same location as as your P226, but the decocker and slide release tabs are extended out. I like the extended controls enough to have bent all my game gun parts out to a similar shape to the X-5 pieces. If you don't like the extended parts, you can replace them with standard P226 pieces.

I like my X-5 and my two alloy P226's. I love my all stainless elite P226 9mm. I don't shoot my P226's in 40 cal enough to tell you anything about the 40 vs the 9. I run Atlanta Arms 9mm 115gr JHP minor loads in all my SIGs but the 147 runs well in them as well, with a sight adjustment.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Welcome aboard.

I had the X5 Tactical and the Comp. Their grips are a bit different more like the "new" sigs with a slight coke bottle shape. Mag changes were not an issue with either they both fit me well also. I did feel that the safeties were a bit thin/odd shaped but that is personal.

An old sig with GGI work is very hard to beat.

If I were to buy another x5 it would only be the tact since it was AL and ran like a top...miss that gun. The heavy SS guns seem to be a little iffy with extraction...plenty to search on so no need to re discuss that one here.

I wouldn't sell your 226GGI to get either...ymmv.

:D

Edited by -JQ-

Thanks for all the advice. I would never get rid of this gun. But I thought that the old west german made ones were SS and not alloy. Correct me if I am wrong. But also you are right. If I don't like the controls then I can just put the standard ones or bend them. Never though of that.