Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing my G17 ejection pattern (stop hitting my dot)

tjhj

Hi,

Thank you for your time and help.

I have a G17 LW Barrel, Carver 4 port comp, deltapoint slide mounted.

I have tried recoil springs from 17lbs to 10lbs and a 10 lb minus 3 coils.

No matter what I seem to do it ejects the casings (when it does) right into the upper right side of the deltapoint sight. Without the comp the ejection pattern goes back to sideways but with it it goes vertical. Some rounds are stove piping, and a few even get caught backwards. All of the rounds that are getting stuck are in line with the barrel (like just It pushed the round up never kicking it), not one is getting stuck on the side like it just didn't eject the case far enough. I have no ideal how it is sticking them backwards yet in line with the barrel.

Any suggestions what could be wrong?

Thank you,

What part number ejector do you have? 336 or 30274?

Shooting factory loaded ammo? Might not have enough ummph to cycle the slide fast enough with the 4 port carver comp.

I have a DP slide ride and 3 port carver on my G17 with a copious amount of slide lightening as well as a 11 lb spring that runs factory ammo fine.

Hi all,

Thank you for your help.

I am running the 336 Ejector. Which one is better?

I have tried factory from 115 up to 147 gn loads. I have been running Win 231 with a 125gn LCN. I've worked up to 4.6gn which is over the max(4.4) trying to make power factor. I'm hesistent to go any more than 4.6 and I'm not sure it will fit in the case. It's already a compressed load to make a length that will chamber.

Any suggestions for a load/powder?

Thank you,

I am having the same problem... My casings get stuck between the barrel and slide as it's closing. I tried shooting the final round from my magazine several times and the magazine even locked open. But the case barely falls out.

The wierd thing is I didn't change anything... this just sorta began happening over time. Perhaps it was when I switched from JHP to FMJ but they are both 124gr. Anyways it kept gradually getting worse with the same ammo.

I wonder if the 12lb recoil spring I'm using isn't strong enough and the excessive rearward recoil is causing the slide to bend or change something in the gun. I get the feeling like my slide sits further forward on the frame than before too.

I do remember a few occasions where I took off my compensator but didn't put on a factory weight recoil spring and shot a bit before switching. Could this have caused something to bend and the gun's performance to change?

Here is the troubling part I am now trying a couple tests and am getting varied results. When I put an empty case in my chamber (and loaded mag), I get the same problem I get in the shooting range when I operate the slide. THe casing just flips in place or barely pops out. When I pull the slide back real hard and harsh the casing just barely pops out from my hand movement... but it doesn't spin or eject and it usually winds up flying forward or backward.

But when I do the same thing with a practice-round (no powder or primer) it pops out to the right spinning.

Does anyone know what to make of this or if it is normal?

Edited by GlockWise

Hi,

Thank you for your time and help.

I have a G17 LW Barrel, Carver 4 port comp, deltapoint slide mounted.

I have tried recoil springs from 17lbs to 10lbs and a 10 lb minus 3 coils.

No matter what I seem to do it ejects the casings (when it does) right into the upper right side of the deltapoint sight. Without the comp the ejection pattern goes back to sideways but with it it goes vertical. Some rounds are stove piping, and a few even get caught backwards. All of the rounds that are getting stuck are in line with the barrel (like just It pushed the round up never kicking it), not one is getting stuck on the side like it just didn't eject the case far enough. I have no ideal how it is sticking them backwards yet in line with the barrel.

Any suggestions what could be wrong?

Thank you,

Holy F*** sauce. One day after I got home and began cleaning my gun, as I slid off my slide cover plate the extractor spring or whatever it's called popped out more than usual and the black plastic at the end came flying out and got lost in my room. I found it... it looked broken... I slid it back in place, finished cleaning the gun and put it back together. Everything seemed to work fine when I was just operating the slide and dryfiring at home.

I didn't go shooting for a long time after that so I forgot about it. Now I realize I've been having ejection problems for a while no matter what load I use...

Does anyone think this is the culprit?

Edited by GlockWise

The 30274 ejector is the new one on the 9mm Gen 4's that helped cure the issues with casings getting ejected straight back towards the shooters head with the 336 ejector. Some late model Gen 3 9mm's have the same issue as well.

Glockwise, I got your message about your problem. I may have to do with the broken spring load bearing. Your issue sounds like insufficient extractor tension. It probably slipping off the extractor before the case head can hit the ejector which may be why it just trickles out.

The 30274 ejector is the new one on the 9mm Gen 4's that helped cure the issues with casings getting ejected straight back towards the shooters head with the 336 ejector. Some late model Gen 3 9mm's have the same issue as well.

Glockwise, I got your message about your problem. I may have to do with the broken spring load bearing. Your issue sounds like insufficient extractor tension. It probably slipping off the extractor before the case head can hit the ejector which may be why it just trickles out.

+1 on that. Order the replacement parts for the extraction system. Also check if your extractor might have wear marks or might be chipped.