Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EOTech on a Ruger 10/22?

jkrispies

Has anybody ever tried mounting an EOTech on a Ruger 10/22 (equiped with a typical aftermarket "monte carlo" style stock) and tried it out for sight height? I'm reading reviews that complain about EOTechs (I'm looking at the 512 model) sitting a little low on AR's... which makes me wonder if the cheekweld/line of sight might be just right on a 10/22?

I'm asking because I can't afford two quality red dots, so I'm looking for one that I can swap back and forth between an AR for 1x multi-gun and a 10/22 for rimfire events like Steel Challenge or the Ruger competitions. Thinking this might be a viable option?

Thanks,

J

Edited by jkrispies

Interesting that people would complain about hight on an optic that alomst perfectly cowitnesses with the iron sights. :surprise: I prefer the standard height like the 512 and detest the quick release versions that must be removed for iron sight use.

If you can still use the irons on a 10/22, the EOTech will sit quite a bit higher, think of how high the rear sight sits above the rail on an AR and that will give you an idea. FWIW, I have never tried what you are talking about specifically. Something else about the EOTech (I really do like them) they are a PITA to sight in, do not return to zero and the "clicks" are very inconsistent. A C-More would be a great inexpensive dot sight for steel on a 22 rifle :devil: .

Just my $0.02 YMMV

A C-More would be a great inexpensive dot sight for steel on a 22 rifle :devil: .

Actually, a C-MORE was something else I was looking hard at, but everybody complains about them being a PITA to sight in as well! I figured with the 1/2 MOA click adjustment of the EOTECH it would have an advantage over the C-MORE... but it sounds like that's incorrect?

One thing I do acknoweldge with the C-MORE is that (if my numbers are adding up right) it should mount to the correct height on my aftermarket stocked Ruger 10/22 with an Allchin mount, then over to the AR with a standard weaver mount. Just don't know how much trouble it would be to mount and dismount from mount to mount (and then gun to gun!) with the two different mounting systems... (Who's on first???)

Edited by jkrispies

I put the Archangel 556 stock on my daughters 10/22, and threw a C-more type sight on it that originally came on my SOCOM16. She and I go to the range with friends for our .22 night shoots. We can all tripple-tap, or hammer down the bianchi plates at 40 yards. I cant imagine the EOTech would really be any different in that regard. We have taken it to the rifle range and it is really pretty good out to 250. Can't wait to get the Timmney trigger, and barrel upgrade.

Yeah, but you can pick up two cmores for a little over one EOTech, I would get the C-More for the 22 and look for something different for the AR for 3 gun. There was an inexpensive Millet 1-4X on the classifieds here yesterday, and you may be able to find a C-More used as well. You can also look into the Burris 1-4s, they seem really popular and from what I have seen they work extremely well. I would stay away from the $50 reflex knockoffs though, they aren't worth it.

EOTech claims 1/2 MOAish adjustments, but it's pretty rare that they are actually that consistent. Again, I like the EOTech, but adjusting them is not fun, and from what little experience I have with them, the C-Mores are no better on that front. Using one scope for two rifles, especially two completely different rifles will be more trouble than its worth IMO.

ETA: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154262&pid=1732140&st=0entry1732140

Edited by shooting for M

Regarding sight heights on a 10/22 with OEM stock ergonomics, i can say from experience that you want a low mounted sight. I have a few 10/22's and while some have aftermarket stocks, they all have a comb position that is very close to stock and very much NOT like the typical AR carbine comb position. With a stock-ish 10/22 comb, you would want something like an Aimpoint (or clone) or a C-More mounted directly to the picatinney rail. In that position you can have a proper and solid cheekweld and the sights line up instinctively. I've experimented with an Aimpoint at differing heights using QD mounts and can say that the direct mount is the best. I've had a Primary arms micro, C-More clone, Vortex Sparc and burris Fast fire and all needed to be mounted directly on the rail for best positioning.

For example, I tried the PA micro with a AD short mount and while this one is still do-able, i find my cheekweld went to more of a chin-weld. Still shootable but i have to be more cogniscent about getting my positioning right and locking my head to the stock when the buzzer goes off for steel challenge. With a direct mount, the fit is more natural. With a typical AR15 "cowitness" height mount, you can forget that. Unless you have a melon like Richard Keil, your face won't even remotely be near the comb when trying to shoulder that configuration. Not to mention that now your bore axis is a lot higher which isn't optimal. Again, this is with stock type ergo's so other conversions need not apply.

If you prefer the tall type of mount or you're bent on some optics that only come in a AR cowitness style height, you'll need a different style stock to raise up the comb. Any of the ones that take an AR buttstock would be good as then you can do something like a Magpul CTR with the cheek riser and other similar stocks.

Yeah, but you can pick up two cmores for a little over one EOTech, I would get the C-More for the 22 and look for something different for the AR for 3 gun. There was an inexpensive Millet 1-4X on the classifieds here yesterday, and you may be able to find a C-More used as well.

Ditto! Get 2 C-mores, one with a 4 MOA dot for the AR and one with a 6 or 8 MOA dot mounted to an Alchin mount for the 10/22. The majority of Ruger Rimfire and Steel Challenge shooters use this combination.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

Yeah, but you can pick up two cmores for a little over one EOTech, I would get the C-More for the 22 and look for something different for the AR for 3 gun. There was an inexpensive Millet 1-4X on the classifieds here yesterday, and you may be able to find a C-More used as well.

Ditto! Get 2 C-mores, one with a 4 MOA dot for the AR and one with a 6 or 8 MOA dot mounted to an Alchin mount for the 10/22. The majority of Ruger Rimfire and Steel Challenge shooters use this combination.

Yeah, I'm leaning more and more toward this route... Just trying to think through all the options, though, since I'm fairly well broke, LOL.

A big part of this is that I used to have a 1-4x on the AR but had to sell the scope and mounts to fund some essentials around the house. I want to eventually return to a high quality 1-4x for the AR once the finances are back in line, and I'm seeing the switcharoo dot from 10/22 back and forth to AR as a middle ground in the meanwhile. If that plan holds up, then the dot will eventually find a permanent home on the 10/22.

The AR currently has some excellent irons on it, which I'm great with out to 300yds and some change, and worst case scenario I'll just use those for a few more years. The irons are just slow, and I'll be shooting the 10/22 more in the meanwhile because the ammo is so much cheaper.

Anyway, if I'm gearing the dot decision towards once vs. the other, I want it to be set for the 10/22 since that's where they will eventually reside permanently.

Edited by jkrispies