Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Magwell for Sig P226 X-5 Competition - see pic

JGus

I received today my new magwell made by Danny Woodard (Staudacher on this forum) and couldn't wait to get it on my Sig P226 X-5 Competition .40s&w. This is the gun I use in USPSA Limited. See attached pic.

After reading several posts by other Sig P226 X-5 members regarding this magwell, I ordered the Standard Magwell.

It's fantastic! The fit couldn't be any more exact. It fits incredibly snug, as it should, but doesn't require any special tools except a screwdriver. Slip the old one off, and slip the new one on (the new magwell takes some force, but nothing out of the ordinary). And, no work was needed on the grips. They fit right back on with out any issues.

The factory X-5 mags fit perfectly. The Mecgar standard P226 mags required just a bit more filing down of the sides to fit. I had to file them down a initially a little to get them to fit into the original factory magwell, and just a little more filing got them to fit into this magwell.

Danny, I'm really impressed! Your magwell looks great on my x-5, and it functions great, much better than the factory magwell.

post-41235-0-15845300-1340656383_thumb.j

post-41235-0-45846900-1340657046_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the quick review Joel. Let me know how it feels when you shoot it. Hopefully you'll see a benefit from the added support.

The new magwell works great. Used it in USPSA competition last weekend and it definitely helps. I've got fairly big hands, and the new magwell definitely gives me much more support on the front strap of the frame versus the stock magwell that came with my X-5 Competition. After using the magwell you made for me, I can't imagine using the stock magwell.

And, because its a more encompassing magwell all around the mag opening, I don't have to glance at the magwell when inserting a new mag "on the run." I can keep my eyes on target, the gun high, and just feed the mag right into the magwell and it directs it where it needs to go. It's a definite improvement.