Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working as a RO at a GSSF match

I am slated to work as a RO at the GSSF match at River Bend Gun Club in July. Never worked RO before but I am looking forward to it. No idea as to what I will be doing but does anyone have suggestions or tips for me? I already plan to have my Camelbak with me! I am also helping with setup before the match and to take advantage of a chance to shoot early for the ROs.

I am slated to work as a RO at the GSSF match at River Bend Gun Club in July. Never worked RO before but I am looking forward to it. No idea as to what I will be doing but does anyone have suggestions or tips for me? I already plan to have my Camelbak with me! I am also helping with setup before the match and to take advantage of a chance to shoot early for the ROs.

Study the GSSF rules. I wanted to yell stop about 50 times at the match I RO'ed, but the rules are different than USPSA.

A big help is to learn the very unique squadding method GSSF uses. It works good if everyone actually uses it right, but it completely blows when folks try to modify it to 'make it faster' or just don't understand it.

Remember that GSSF is geared toward new shooters. Some are very new. They need a lot instruction to remain safe. A lot of times you have to break it down to little steps for them.

Edited by Flexmoney

• 3 weeks later...

It went pretty smoothly. No celebs showed up. I helped set up Thursday and Friday, worked all day Saturday and Sunday afternoon plus takedown. Did not win a RO gun but may still win a shooter gun via drawing. We had over 650 people. Did a lot of shooter education, did not have to deal with any major issues or attitudes. At one time Saturday I was setting up squads for 2 bays and handling the timer for one of them. The squad system does take some getting used to and the Glock folks exploitations are a lot more complicated than the system really is. I worked with some great people, got a couple of gifts and had a good time. Highly recommend working one if there is one close to you.