Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many grains of Ramshot TAC for a 75g A-Max?

bobby hated

You are aware the 75 amax is to long to mag feed. I use 25.5 of tac loaded long which is a fairly warm load

+1 on the 75 AMAX being too long for mags (I know one new reloader had it mag length and was blowing out primers, eventually had case seperation, no I do NOT shoot with him)

+1 on 25.5 being fairly warm

I shoot the 75 grain Hornady BTHP at 500 to 800 yards. I've had good luck with it as well as the 77 gr Sierra Match King. I use either Reloader 15 or TAC. Both powders say 24.1 as max (TAC & Hornady manuals). I attached 1 page from the Ramshot Load Guide. The whole guide is available on their website.

My current load is 24 gr TAC (or RL-15) over the Hornady 75 BTHP. I started using this load when a Marine Gunny Sargent told me they were using RL-15 at 24.1 grains over a 77 SMK for 1000 yard iron site shoots. I've found some good deals on the Hornday 75 grain and have used it with good results.

TAC 223.pdf

AR15.com has a thread with pictures of the 75AMAX. One guys says he can do it, but I would be wary of using a crimp like that to hold the bullet in. Stick to standard 69 to 77 grain bullets depending on barrel twist and 24 grains of RL-15 or TAC. Also wind will stil mess with you no matter what bullet you use. If you want to go with a cheaper bullet look at the 75gn privi bullet I've not shot it, but I think there are plenty of people that shoot privi ammo and are satisfied.

From http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ramshot_handgun_rifle.pdf

<62350Psi Appliocation: Bolt Action Rifles and Semi Auto Weapons rated for the latest NATO/MIL ammunition.

TAC 75 HDY HPBT 23.2 2,738 25.8 2,994 62,145 2.260

TAC 77 SIE HPBT 22.3 2,648 24.8 2,902 61,500 2.260

AR15.com has a thread with pictures of the 75AMAX. One guys says he can do it, but I would be wary of using a crimp like that to hold the bullet in. Stick to standard 69 to 77 grain bullets depending on barrel twist and 24 grains of RL-15 or TAC. Also wind will stil mess with you no matter what bullet you use. If you want to go with a cheaper bullet look at the 75gn privi bullet I've not shot it, but I think there are plenty of people that shoot privi ammo and are satisfied.

A good point, wind will get you even with heavy bullets. How far are the long range stages? I was shooting in West Texas, in the afternoon the wind kicked up terrible. We had a direct crosswind. At 600 yards my buddy's 55 grain Vmax drifted about 12 feet, my 75 grain BTHP drifted about 5 feet.

I have shot 75 grain privi ammo (it was factory privi 75 grain match). I was comparing it to 77 grain SMKs. They performed right in there with the Sierras in a 20" 1:7.7 twist Kreiger barrel.

Wow if you have to hold 5' then your probably better off just taking the penalty. Farthest shot I've taken in a match is 400 yds. 12' to 5' is a great improvement. If I have to shoot a big match with real LR targets then I might go through the trouble off running heavy bullets.

Wow if you have to hold 5' then your probably better off just taking the penalty. Farthest shot I've taken in a match is 400 yds. 12' to 5' is a great improvement. If I have to shoot a big match with real LR targets then I might go through the trouble off running heavy bullets.

Not at all, last match we had a very gusty wind, at the 425yd target I held 2 ft left and broke the shot. It hit 3 ft right of the target. I held 5 ft left and broke the second shot. That sent the flasher rocking, repeated the same hold for the 415 & and 380 flashers.

Remember if you break the shots quick you might get lucky and the wind will stay consistent

I use 23.5 gr's of TAC with a 77 SMK with a slight crip, and it is super consistent for me. Sometimes finding the right bullet for your barrel is the key for the long range hits