Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Most Favorite SIG

Joe L

I purchased a P226 Stainless Steel Elite a few weeks ago, swapped out some parts and modified the hammer and sear for a 3lb-9oz trigger pull, and practiced with it some. Here is the gun...

i-5g5HFT5-L.jpg

Here is the result from this morning, before pulling the target down ...

i-C8PZLHX-L.jpg

And after, preparing to FRAME the target!!

i-Jk2XCWX-L.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't shoot sub 2" groups all the time. But I am working on it. Dang gun is superb, stock barrel and slide, Atlanta Arms 115gr JHP reloads. Shooter needs work still, until I can do this on every round, every target.

Joe

Thanks, I think I have finally found the perfect SIG for me, an all stainless P226 in 9mm. The X-5 is excellent as far as the accuracy goes, but it is pretty clunky for anyone that has spent a lot of range time with a standard alloy frame gun. The alloy gun is a little light for me. The SSE seems to be a perfect blend of weight and size, again, for me. I am really liking this gun now that I have the trigger down closer to the CZ that I shoot best of all.

Joe

Thanks, gentlemen, I am really, really happy with this pistol. I'm still working on the extractor on the X-5. Until I resolve that issue, this SSE is my favorite. I did shoot 4 rounds out of 5 in to a 2" square at 25 yards last Sunday with my CZ-75B, and that was right after shooting the SIG. These are my current favorites, that's for sure.

Joe

Yes, I had Gray Guns install a modified extractor. It did not work well as delivered with my recoil and magazine spring combination. As an experiment, I bought the most recent version of SIG's extractor and have found a combination of mag spring, recoil spring, and extractor tension that seem to work, as of last night. I am thinking some of the same changes with the Gray Gun extractor will also work but I haven't gone back to try it yet. If I need to, I will. I will have to experiment some more with their new extractor. My bet is that it will work better than the one I am experimenting with, but I wanted to learn how to make the adjustments on a less expensive extractor first.

A lot of tension is needed on the extractor to keep it from pulling off the case on ejection. The higher tension makes it difficult for the case to slide up the breech face from the magazine. The heavier magazine spring (+10% Wolff) helps that. The heavier recoil spring (pink multistrand) slows the slide down a little on recoil to help keep the extractor from slipping off the case, and keeps the slide and casing moving into position as the fresh round is chambering. Lots of stuff to get right if you want the X-5 extractor to work. I need to get a few thousand rounds down range to confirm I'm there.

Joe

Edited by Joe L