Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maybe another dumb quesion...

BobS761

This may be really a dumb thing to ask, but I have seen guide rods seemingly designed to add some weight to the business end, and yet also I've seen what looks like lightening ports on the slides. Maybe different approaches for different length pistols? Surely one wouldn't do both on the same gun. Just wondering...

Thanks,

B

People do use both on the same pistol, the guide rods like you thought are to add weight at the muzzle to tame recoil and change the balance. the slots in the slide are to lighten the slide its self, many people like the way a light slide feels in recoil better. the end idea is to have a pistol that weighs as much as you like and balances well with a light slide for better cycling and feel.

The rod will add static weight to the gun, where the slots will reduce the moving weight of the slide. So if you did both, you could end up with the same weight of the gun, but the cycling mass of the slide would be less helping with felt recoil. Just how I picture it ;)

That's pretty much it. If you add more static weight, and lessen the reciprocating weight, i.e. the slide, you will lessen the snap you get when the slide hits it's most rearward point, and the sights will stay on target more.

• 2 weeks later...

People will use both plus Light, Medium, and Heavy magwells to balance the gun. And it all comes down to balance. If the second shot tends to be higher than the first shot you can either go to a heavier recoil spring, a heavier guide rod, or a heavier magwell. If the second shot is lower than the first then install a lighter recoil spring, a lighter magwell or a lighter guide rod (if possible).

If you have everything well balanced then first and second shots are impacting very close to each other. Once you have that balance keep all springs and weights the same.

It is all the physics of the gun. The greater the mass the harder it is to get it moving, and the harder it is to get it to stop. The lighter the mass the easier it is to get it moving and the easier to get it to stop.

Another weight to consider is loaded magazine. A Limited or Open gun has a different feel when the mag is fully stuffed compared to almost empty.

Edited by Poppa Bear