Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber failure to go into battery

DaveDark

I was shooting an IPSC match with my Kimber Stainless Target II and I chose to use a batch of new Winchester WB "Brass Enclosed Base" ammo (I know never switch at a match!). I had around 15 failures to go into battery. I've shot around 2000 rounds through it, so it's well broken in. I also polished the feed ramp and I'm using Wilson Combat mags. I've had this issue before with standard factory ball ammo as well, but not that many times in a row. Some have told me the extractor is too tight and some have told me my recoil spring is wearing out. I doubt I'll shoot anything but ball ammo anymore, but it's disappointing if it's just the ammo and my $1200 gun is that sensitive. My Shadow is almost half the price and it will shoot anything without issue! Any ideas?

Does the slide stop, juuusst before it goes into battery, only taking a little "nudge" to lock it up?

If so make sure that the extractor and tunnel are clean and then try it.

Edited by old506

If the extractor is OK, check to make sure the throating is deep enough that the bullet doesn't hit the lands when chambered. Just went through this with a friend when he changed to a bullet with a different shape.

Also, make sure the chamber is deep enough to chamber the occasional longer piece of brass...they only need to be a few thousanths longer to stop a gun with a short chamber.

. . . Winchester WB "Brass Enclosed Base" ammo. . . .

. . . it's disappointing if it's just the ammo and my $1200 gun is that sensitive. My Shadow is almost half the price and it will shoot anything without issue!

If you're talking about Winchester USA, aka Winchester white box, there are lots of guns that won't feed it and the cost of the gun doesn't seem to have much to do with it. Some will and some won't. It is about the trashiest ammo on the market. If a gun will run it, fine, if not, then just avoid it. (I know it's nice to be able to run to any Walmart anywhere and grab a box, but if it doesn't work, that option's out.) If your gun works with other ammunition, feed it what works rather than trying to "fix" the gun to shoot ammo it doesn't like.

Is this it?

post-18274-0-18382600-1339347449_thumb.j

Edited by mgood

Well I just came back from another match where I shot a high quality reload 230gr ball. Same issue. I cleaned out the extractor really well last week. Maybe extractor tension? I tried a test I found on Youtube, and it seemed fine.