Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4.5 xdm mag issues and reloading question?

Landeeno

While doing a little practice loading and unloading I noticed that my mags just more or less fall outta my gun. Fully loaded or empty, or with 13 in it. Is there anything to install to make the mags just jump out of the gun when I hit the mag release? perhaps different springs or something? Im planning on a new set of 140mm base pads for a new magwell but what other things should I consider doing?

Ps, If theres any loads that you would recommend I'd also appreciate that. Getting started in the reload game and help would be awesome. Please just dont use short phrases and assume I know what they are because im BRAND NEW to the different powders and stuff like that. Ive always been a hunter and recoil and things like that have never been an issue, as long as it went fast, made a boom, and brought back some back straps then I gave that brand a thumbs up ha, I know how a bullet works, I know how to reload givin ive got all the correct gear in front of me I.E correct powders primers,bullets, etc. I just want to reduce the recoil in my XDM as low thats safe and still shoot major in USPSA limited. Grouping would be a nice touch to if I can have that also, I know its a little hard to ask for out of a XDM but I can wish?

Not really a whole lot you can do to make the mags "jump" out of the gun. They will fall out faster than you can reload as long as you don't hold the gun sideways.

What bullets and powders do you have? There are a of major loads for 40s on this board. Tell is what you have and we can point you in a good direction.

I don't have anything, like I said I've owned pistols forever but I've never reloaded for competition, I'm starting this from scratch...I shot my first competitive match a few months ago and got completely interested... Picked up this xdm just for competition last week, so I'm setting it up for limited, when I get better, progress, and learn more ill get me a double stack 2011 but for the time being im decking this little jewel out.I'll be buying the lee 50th anniversary press when I figure out Wat exactly I need, I know the press isn't the best but it'll get me started. And like you said "unless the gun is turned sideways" well I've been practicing with tilting the gun a lot for reloads and just wish it would jump out quicker...

Ps, if anybody has xdm limited parts I'd be interested, as well as a speed holster..

Alot of people like Viht N320, but I think for the XDM, its a little overkill for the price. Titegroup is a favorite of the shorty 40 loaders for major as well as some other Hodgdon powders. Run a search in the 40/10mm loading forum for "40 major" and "xdm". There is a thread specifically for the XDM another member started sometime ago.

As far as bullets, 180 grainers are favorites combined with Titegroup for a "push" more than a "snap" on the bullet. I just used 4.5gr TG over a Rainier 180gr flat point and it made 169PF at the Ohio sectional out of my 4.5" XDM.

Also, if you have the funds, I would suggest getting a progressive loader, Dillon or Hornady. For USPSA, depending on how much you shoot, you will want something that doesn't do one bullet at a time.

Alright I appriciate that! I did some searching and just kept coming up with stuff for the 5.25, with tht 169pf bullet you said was it smooth? I heard a well loaded 40 round could make the gun feel like a 9mm...and Ike you suggested I read a lot about the tight group powder and all was good, and as for the press I know my press suggestion will be slow but it's weird how much I like doing stuff like that, gets me to my happy place so to speak, just being around the powder and equipment, haha....slow but rewarding at the end...plus when I get done with it and want something bigger and better for my pistol rounds I can make this just my rifle press and setup