Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro 9mm 4.25" Sear question

Taylor Murphy

Quick question guys, I have been using the search feature but haven't quite found an answer to the question i have. I have my pro 9mm set up with the APEX USB currently and i am pretty happy with the way the trigger feels. I am planning on adding the Competition spring kit as well because i feel it will lighten the trigger to a level i will be more satisfied with. Here's the question, should i stick with the pro series sear that is in the gun now or go ahead and get the Apex hard sear while im at it? I honestly just haven't seen any feedback to people that have kept the stock "pro series" sear in with the other APEX treats. Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

The Pro Series sear is pretty decent. The APEX sear has a slightly different profile where it engages the striker which will make the trigger pull a little smoother. But you can reshape the engaging surface of the Pro Series sear to achieve the same results. If you want a "Drop In" solution go with the APEX sear. Just keep in mind that if you use the wrong engagement surface profile you could end up with an unsafe situation where the striker would slip over the sear and fire when you do not intend it to. If you are not 100% certain about modifying the sear to make sure the changes you make will be safe, then leave it to a competent gunsmith to do it for you.

I would just get the apex sear. I have an apex sear in one of my pros and I cut the sear in my other pro myself. While the pro series sears arent that bad, the apex makes a huge differance in trigger feel. Due to the sear/striker engagement area being differant on the apex, youll have a heavier trigger pull with the pro series then the apex sear. Even with the competition springs, the trigger pull will be heavier then it has to be if you dont use the apex sear. The apex also cuts down on trigger overtravel and does have a cleaner break.

Guys i appreciate the feedback, and it seems the APEX sear is the way to go. I am no gunsmith and although i feel i would be capable of modifying the pro series sear the advantages/disadvantages have been clearly pointed out. The risk of having a potentially unsafe weapon isn't worth the $40 it would take to buy a drop in replacement that i know will be correct from word go. Looks like i will be ordering the competition spring kit along with the hard sear. Once again i appreciate the timely response yall have made my decision an easy one.