Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mofifictions to shotgun (JM930) for load two?

Tim/GA

I read a post suggesting to cut down/shave the forehand and do something to the mag tube to enhance the gun for load two. Cannot find it now and was looking for more info specific to JM 930. It seems like I have to push my thumb and the shell further into the mag tube to get past the shell stop than on my 1100. Can I grind some of that area to make that faster and easier? What do I need to watch out for? thanks!

I've been practicing some "load 4" with my Benelli, but this might apply to you as well. I'm getting some knicks on the forend wood, just in front of the receiver. It's from pushing in the first two, and the two still in hand hit the forend.

Smoothing out the forend, so there is not a "bump" just past the receiver might help here.

I was also getting a hang-up where the shells enter the mag tube, bottom side farthest from the bolt. The front shell would run into the flat area if it wasn't deep enough in the loading port. A little dremel flaring cleared that up.

I've been practicing some "load 4" with my Benelli, but this might apply to you as well. I'm getting some knicks on the forend wood, just in front of the receiver. It's from pushing in the first two, and the two still in hand hit the forend.

Smoothing out the forend, so there is not a "bump" just past the receiver might help here.

I was also getting a hang-up where the shells enter the mag tube, bottom side farthest from the bolt. The front shell would run into the flat area if it wasn't deep enough in the loading port. A little dremel flaring cleared that up.

I am sure we'd all appreciate some pictures of what you did.... ;)

Edited by two shoes

I am sure we'd all appreciate some pictures of what you did.... ;)

Here are some older pictures that I tried to show what's going on with an arrow. The first shows where my forearm is chipping up, and could use some smoothing out. I haven't done anything yet there, as it isn't a big problem.

On the second pic, the arrow shows the flat spot that was hanging up when pushing shells in. This wasn't an issue with weak-hand loading, but was with load-2 and 4. I put more of a ramp there that smoothed entry into the tube, being very careful not to go to far. There is a lip that stops the shell follower from coming out.

That pic also shows my modified shell latch on the left. The two U-shaped notches have been opened up to allow it to flex easier. I also bent it some so it doesn't stick out as far, and the shells can slide past easier.

post-37136-0-59059700-1339296789_thumb.j

post-37136-0-41746500-1339296798_thumb.j