Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What time do you record?

Flexmoney

Because in other games that record to the hundredth, "six" means .60.

Yes, let's drop context.

I know what a "four nine forty" is (and feels like), but I wouldn't expect to be talking about that after a shooter has just finished shooting a stage.

Indeed.

But you're not the RO on the timer in this example, either. :ph34r:

Or every RO doing the scoring. I'm not saying that it's the correct way-- it's just how I arrived at the time that you were asking about. ;) In that regard, it's very much in context.

Does it really matter in the first place, if the score keeper asks for clarification? I'm always going to hear "4-4 forty", "Twenty-one eight in the 50 Free", "9-2 Quarter" and have a zero at the end of the figure I see in my head. I'm also going to look at the timer or ask for a repeat, in language that better reflects our standard of scoring, any time there's a question. :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...in my example (and in plenty of the responses) there are lots of...areas for confusion ;)

So, what do we need to do to make absolutely sure we get it right, 100% of the time? (and no, the answer is not to read back what we think the timer RO meant and hope that he/she catches any mistake)

The same way that an old surveyor taught me in the field. Any number should be verbalized by digit including the decimal point.

Two, zero, decimal (dot, point) three, six . Definitely include the decimal point, because I have seen almost all of the variations of this number on a timer at matches.

OK...in my example (and in plenty of the responses) there are lots of...areas for confusion ;)

So, what do we need to do to make absolutely sure we get it right, 100% of the time? (and no, the answer is not to read back what we think the timer RO meant and hope that he/she catches any mistake)

We've ALREADY said that Flex. The CBRO screams "STOP", walks up to the the timer guy, rips the timer out of his hands, writes it down, then says "HEY, who can run this dang thing and call out times and scores correctly!".

Sheesh. I thought there was going to be some great revelation in this thread! :devil:

Impossible to get it right 100% of the time. :devil:, but a rule that establishes the "correct" way to read the time aloud. Examples below (I'm sure someone will disagree)

The time is 17.06 and said Seventeen Zero Six.

The time is 17.26 and said Seventeen Twenty Six. OR

17.06 and said ONE SEVEN ZERO SIX

17.26 and said ONE SEVEN TWO SIX.

The same way that an old surveyor taught me in the field. Any number should be verbalized by digit including the decimal point.

Two, zero, decimal (dot, point) three, six . Definitely include the decimal point, because I have seen almost all of the variations of this number on a timer at matches.

To make it clear and to comply with 9.2.2.1 and 9.2.3.1 RO should call out time so there is no confusion about where the decimcal point should go. I prefer to call out each number and say point for the decimal. Two, zero, point three, six. (20.36)