Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ContourHD: Disable Auto Shutdown?

Is there a way to keep the ContourHD (1080P model) from automatically shutting itself off every 15 minutes?

I missed recording half the stages at the Mass State IDPA match because the camera shut itself down and I didn't catch it when I flipped the switch. I generally can't hear the camera beep when I have muffs at a noisy range.

Checked the manual and didn't find anything on disabling the auto-shutdown. You need to call Contour on Monday and see if there is a way to disable this feature. Good luck. I hate it when someone makes a feature that can't be disabled.Further research indicates this feature was hard-wired into the camera to save battery life and cannot be disabled: http://support.conto...ut_off_override

Edited by The_Vigilante

Thanks for finding that support link. My Google-Foo is apparently non-existent today and it was driving me nuts. I couldn't find anything other than the reference to the 15 minute shutdown in the owners manual.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is power off the camera after each stage. Then turn it on during my "on deck" preparation ritual.

I really like the Camera other than the power save feature. One of the posts in support link mentioned that the newer cameras don't have an automatic shutdown feature (or it can be disabled in software). I guess that's a good excuse to buy the new generation Contour when they go on sale.

Edited by blind bat

I had 2 models like that, that "feature" annoyed me as well.

But.. the first one would not connect to my PC. It wouldbt recognize it. Contour sent me another one. Same issue. When that happened, they were out of new HD's, so sent me the new Roam.

Now I have instant on and off recording, no power button.

Their customer service was A+++ with tech support, and very prompt email communication with an actual person.