Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 issue, resistance on the downstroke

My Super 1050 abruptly has a lot of resistance about halfway down on the downstroke. Sometimes it's so bad I need to get two hands on the handle to continue the downstroke. This is a new thing, it didn't used to do this. I can run it without any cases on the shellplate and it still does it. I took off the toolhead and when I operate the handle everything works smoothly. The guide rods on the toolhead apear to be lining up just fine with the holes through the shellplate, and nothing is in their way. Any ideas?

Edited by Bill Schwab

Make sure the arm that activates the primer slide isn't set too far down, coming in contact with the frame of the press as you lower the handle. One other thing to check is the tightness of the toolhead, sometimes if this is loose it can rotate a bit and as you pull the handle the pins locate the toolhead rotating it back into place, causing increased resistance.

After you check the priming items suggested.

I have found this type of issue on my RL model when the toolhead was tightened at the top of the stroke. I now run it down to the bottom to tighten the nut to ensure the alignment rods are a the shell plate when the head it tightened.

Make sure the tab on the back of the machine that works with the ratchet didnt get flipped over.

Also check the bushing on the back post on the toolhead that is in the spring. Sometimes the post wont be aligned properly and it bumps. Put the tool head back on, screw the bolt hand tight, run the toolhead down, then tighten.

Good luck,

DougC

and the case feeder plunger. In particular, check the shoulder bolt and see if it might be bent.

I appreciate all the responses, and I'm relieved to know I don't have to ship the 1050 to AZ, Canuck nailed it: the case feed plunger bolt is bent.

and the case feeder plunger. In particular, check the shoulder bolt and see if it might be bent.

I appreciate all the responses, and I'm relieved to know I don't have to ship the 1050 to AZ, Canuck nailed it: the case feed plunger bolt is bent.

Usual cause is an incomplete downstroke (ringed or missed primer at the swager station) and too much pressure on the upstroke right after. You torque the bolt by trying to return a case while one has already dropped down.

BTDT.:wacko: