Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Measure Running on Empty Shellplate?

So... this may be normal, and may have been happening across the 50-some-odd-thousand rounds I've loaded on this 650 since I got it... But I just noticed it the other day, and now it's driving me nuts...

When I run an empty shellplate up, the powder funnel in Station 2 contacts the surface and lifts into the die. That seems absolutely normal, as there's a lot of free range of motion there.

However, it then contacts the stem of the powder drop itself and actually begins to actuate the powder bar-- not enough to drop powder, but enough to provide resistance against the handle. This is how I noticed the phenomenon in the first place-- something just didn't "feel right".

My bell and powder drops are still spot on, and there's no spillage as a result of this-- but it's still bugging me. Mostly I'm concerned with potential wear and tear on the parts, and I do not feel as if this has been happening all along.

Is it enough to move your powder bar a little bit?

I JUST noticed that my Powder Check Die, which has been unused for quite some time now, actually had the op rod backed almost all of the way out and was REALLY adding resistance to the stroke-- the likely cause of the strange feeling that made me notice the powder funnel/hopper working on an empty shell plate...

Don't forget that the powder check unit will be causing resistance because it senses an empty space/shell. So you'll likely be pressing/bending it quite a bit against the check rod.

You might be feeling the plastic of it bending vs the powder measure doing it.

Edited by splitime

With the toolhead set for shorter calibers(45,9mm etc)the shellplate will hit the powder funnel on an empty stroke. Longer brass(44mag,357mag etc) will not. All normal.

Edited by Youngeyes

I'm setup for 45 auto, you are right, it moved the powder bar .346”. Never noticed it before either, but I normally load rifle. I'm doing a large .45 run.

:cheers:

That's the confirmation I was looking for.

Indeed, the new resistance I was feeling was the op rod on the powder check-- it had backed almost all the way out and was really going to town on the plastic. :blink: