Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

your opinion of savage edge/axis

kalifornia

Im wanting my first bolt gun, obiviously not a high end target rifle. Would you recommend the savage or another similiarly priced rifle? Im looking at either the .308 or the 30 06 both have a 22" barrel. This is primarily for range fun and I'll be reloading.

I can't comment on the Edge/Axis, but I do have two Stevens 200's. One long action and one short. I'm VERY happy with them. They are a Savage rifle with a lower quality finish and a lower quality stock. Also they don't have the accutrigger.

The good stuff is they accept any stock made for a Savage 10/110, any after market part for the Savage's actually, and they share the same barrel thread. You can purchase small shank Savage barrels and swap them onto your Stevens. I love them. Great rifle for the money.

Kevin

thanks divenshort, keep the opinions coming, if you think it is a p.o.s. tell me why. this would be my first bolt gun. Im not looking to kill a Elk at 1000 yards.

Define POS? For what you are wanting or looking to do I think they will be just fine. POS compared to a custom action in a Manners or Mcmillan stock? Yeah! But they are apples and oranges. If you want a precision rig start with a Remington 700 Varmint. Upgrade when you have the cash. But dont forget that Glass will cost you some cash. Bushnell elite 3200 fixed 10x is the cheapest you want to go as far as glass($200).

If it were me, I would skip the edge/axis. Get a Model 11/10/12 or even the Stevens. Much more options to customize if you want down the road.

Lots of info at Savageshooters.com