Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Installation

okorpheus

I am considering replacing the sights on my m&p 9, probably with warren sevigny competition sight and wondering what's involved. Is sight replacement something the owner can typically do, or usually something taken to a gunsmith?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Replacing the rear sight is simple, the front not so much. I have a sight pusher but have never used it. Padded vice, brass punch, and brass hammer gets the job done. Both front and rear are removed and installed from the ejection port side of the slide.

The rear sight drifts out very easily after loosening the set screw. Watch out for the striker block spring and disc which are under the sight.

The front sight is friction fit only so it takes quite a bit more persuasion to get out. The new sight might need filing/sanding to get the fit right and you may need to use Loctitie retaining compound to insure it stays put.

If you are not up to all that the $50 to have a gumsmith do it will be money well spent.

If you are not up to all that the $50 to have a gumsmith do it will be money well spent.

If you are particular about the cosmetic appearance of your pistols like I am, then this is definitely the way you want to go. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I had a gunsmith put the sights on my M&P (also Warren Sevigny Competition). I wanted to make sure it went on right since its my primary gun. I have removed and reinstalled the factory rear sight on the gun though in order to install the Apex USB, and it was simple (that sight was already fitted though).

I installed a set of Warren Sevigny Carry sights on my Glock 17 (backup gun) myself which was a pretty straightforward process. For the rear sight just chocked it up in a padded vice and used a brass punch. No fitting required, though it was a bit stubborn going on. Front sight on the Glock is different (screws on from bottom) but I assume that the dovetailed front on the M&P would be similar to the rear.