Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag spring change frequency

birdzman

I have a Les Baer and I use Wilson 47's . Mine have been loaded for months in my nightstand maybe a years. I take it out and shoot it about once a mo. or 3 just to check things and back in the drawer loded. Hope this helps. :cheers:

For Wilson 47D mags that are not shot a lot but kept loaded how often should the spring be replaced ?

Thanks in advance.

Keeping them loaded will not fatigue them. Its loading and unloading that weakens them.

I work in Law Enforcement and have mags that are always loaded. I shoot my STI Tactical 4 times a year with my STI mags.

I shoot at least once a month, sometimes 4 times a month with my Limited STI gun at USPSA matches.

The springs in my STI mags that I use in law enforcement get weaker quicker and I have to change them more often than my USPSA mags that get loaded and shot 20 times more often.

I would change mag springs for self defense once you find out they are getting slower in pushing the last round to the top of the mag. Do this by stripping the rounds out by hand and see how fast they come to the top, then when you load them, see how easy it is to push them down into the mag as compared to a mag with a new spring.