Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger finger placement

Went to the range today to start working on calling my shots. I set a few targets including picnic paper plates up at about 20-25m.

To warm up I tried to shoot groupings on the plates.

First 5 shots: 2 hit high and 3 completely missed(on the plate). Tried shooting groups on the ipsc target and again shot almost all high and very random grouping all over the target. I really focused on the front sight and tried to watch it as it started lifting in recoil to try and call where the shot was going to hit but just couldn't.

My finger placement on the trigger was in the middle of the meaty part of my index finger. (About where the nail start on the other side if that makes sense).

I then moved it into the bent of my first knuckle and all of a sudden I was shooting (hand)palm sized groupings about an inch above POA at the same distance.

I then lowered my front sight post into the rear sight notch to where the fibre optic dot is just completely visible and it (the front sight dot) was right about on POI.

So now next range session will be to try and call the shots and try to speed up follow up shots.

Anyone have any advise or drills to try out regarding this?

• 2 weeks later...

The first pad (nail) of your finger should be touching the trigger. You shouldn't have the first knuckle through the trigger, that's bad form. For whatever reason you said you shot better this way, but IMHO, you need to find out why, and correct it. Are you flinching, focusing too much on the recoil, too much on the actual trigger press, etc. etc.

Also, I don't know what gun you're shooting, but if it's a 1911/2011, changing the trigger length will also help.

I've worked on my trigger control a bit since the first post and found that I should "grip" the gun more with my left hand and use my right hand just to pull the trigger. Trying to keep my right hand as still as possible and really concentrate on moving just the parts of my trigger finger(and only enough to break the trigger) that is necessary to break the shot off.

Now I have to work on this for faster follow up shots. Shooting slow groupings is fine but when I speed up I tend to go back to bad muscle memory.

I want to try and get as much trigger time as possible to build up better muscle memory.

Yes, that's what people are referring to when they are talking about the "60/40" or "70/30" grip. The most grip should be coming from your non-dominant hand, like you found out, this allows better control of the trigger. It also helps steady the gun, especially on longer stages. I was told by a GM to give a little more non-dominant hand grip on longer-ranged targets.

I would also suggest dry-firing.

• 2 weeks later...