Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Service Manual

madone

OK, after realizing I am a newbie when it comes to my 2011 series pistol teardown I am in search for some info, books, tech manuals about the 2011 series pistols.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking for a book like Jerry Kuhnhausen's "THE COLT .45 AUTOMATIC, VOL. I ".

Things as simple as mag release removal/install, grip removal/install, tear down and rebuild for total gun cleaning, etc.

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Mag release disassembles the same as a regular 1911. The only thing that is different disassembly wise is the 2 (or 3, depending on STI or SVI) screws and bushings that hold the grip assembly to the frame. If you have a compensator, bull barrel or heavy guide rod, you might need a paper clip to hold the recoil spring in the compressed position so you can remove the guide rod and recoil spring. Here is the STI service manual page.

Edited by davidwiz

You really shouldn't have to remove the grip from the frame. I would leave it alone. Be aware of what you use to clean the frame, as some chemicals can attack the plastic grip. In order to remove the trigger, you need to remove the mag catch first, then the back end (thumb safety, grip safety, msh, hammer, sear, disconnect).

If you really want to remove the grip from the frame, remove all the parts from the gun, and then with an allen wrench unscrew the grip screws, then the bushings the screws go into, then gently pry the grip assembly from the frame.

David,

I might be wrong on this, but if you don't remove the grip from the frame you can't pull out the trigger... :huh:

At least this is what I recall from disassembling my SVI once per year for complete cleanup.