Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not shoot lead?

johniac7078

My blood lead levels have been high for a while so I avoid lead bullets. I also shoot indoors a fair amount. Even the handling of lead ammo is a source of lead exposure.

Plated bullets don't cost that much more over lead so that's what I run.

I thought this and switched to jacketed levels still high..Quit using indoor ranges the levels fell below normal rather quickly, went back to lead and stayed outside the levels remained below normal...I reload 50,000 rounds of lead a year.

I have been shooting 200 gr LSWC from various suppliers for 30 years now.

My experience has been buy the best ones you can find, which are often the most expensive ones. I am finally thru about 6k of bargain bullets, and they were the

dirtiest bullets ever. They would start to cause the gun to run sluggish and fail to go into battery after only a couple hundred rounds. They were also very accurate in my single stack, so I kept them. Seat and crimp dies needed to be cleaned out every hundred rounds. They were only .05 cents ea., so I got what I paid for.

MO. bullet 200 gr LSWC are almost as clean as jacketed in my guns. I can run 500-1000 rds between cleanings with them. they are also .12 cents ea.

I've been casting and shooting lead for about 5 years now. In the summer, the lube can get a bit sticky but other than that, no problem. I shoot 45LC, 45ACP and 44mag/Spec. No leading and I don't mind the smoke although with 231 there isn't a lot. Bullseye in my ACP does produce some. I shoot straight WW at plates and use Lyman #2 ( or similar) to hunt with.

I have been shooting 200 gr LSWC from various suppliers for 30 years now.

My experience has been buy the best ones you can find, which are often the most expensive ones. I am finally thru about 6k of bargain bullets, and they were the

dirtiest bullets ever. They would start to cause the gun to run sluggish and fail to go into battery after only a couple hundred rounds. They were also very accurate in my single stack, so I kept them. Seat and crimp dies needed to be cleaned out every hundred rounds. They were only .05 cents ea., so I got what I paid for.

MO. bullet 200 gr LSWC are almost as clean as jacketed in my guns. I can run 500-1000 rds between cleanings with them. they are also .12 cents ea.

Through my own empirical testing, I have come to the conclusion that the smoke is not from the wax lube.

That is my own opinion.

Until I see proof otherwise, my opinion will still stand.

Hearing somebody at a match commenting so unequivocally on a shooter's smokey loads along the lines of "It's that waxey lube causing all that smoke!" is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. :angry2:

Well my evidence says different.

I shoot lead practice bullets in .45 and the same bullet from Bayou Bullets, with the same powder charge and the BB load has much, much less smoke.

I've been using the lead bullets from X-Calibers for three years, love 'em- they are super accurate in my XD and XD-m 5.25 (200 gr RP FN), a great value and they load so easily. With Tite-Group powder, not too smokey either.

I live/shoot in FL and I agree with some posters here, the only time it makes a difference is when there's zero breeze (very rare) on a "stand-and-shoot" COF.

Through my own empirical testing, I have come to the conclusion that the smoke is not from the wax lube.

That is my own opinion.

Hearing somebody at a match commenting so unequivocally on a shooter's smokey loads along the lines of "It's that waxey lube causing all that smoke!" is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. :angry2:

Well I hope you like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard...because that is part of the problem. It depends on what type of powder you use and what type of bullet you also use. Now you can get a lot less smoke with different types of powder and also how you load them up...major/minor. It would not be fair to say that it is just the wax on the bullet (even though it is a small part)

That is my own opinion.

So, in your opinion,from your empirical testing, what's causing the smoke if it's not the lube?

As stated above, I run the same load with Bayou Bullets and lead and the lead smokes much, much more.

That leads me to believe it's the lube, since the BB's aren't lubed.

In your 45 try the 200gn lead SWC. Flys great and punches a neat round hole in paper targets. Lots of loading data out there and I'm sure we all have a pet load. I like 4.3 of Clays or 4.6 of Red Dot. With costs rising lead bullets still run about half of jacketed and barrels last longer, there accurate and as long as your shooting outdoors you won't run into health issues.