Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL Questions

A little while back I sold my Dillon 650 becuase I was loading more rifle than pistol stuff these days. Picked up a 550 which works well for both but is annoying to load pistol on.

Just wondering if anybody is loading precision rifle stuff on there LNL AP and if any former 650 owners own an LNL now and can compare the two.

Thanks.

A little while back I sold my Dillon 650 becuase I was loading more rifle than pistol stuff these days. Picked up a 550 which works well for both but is annoying to load pistol on.

Just wondering if anybody is loading precision rifle stuff on there LNL AP and if any former 650 owners own an LNL now and can compare the two.

Thanks.

I own both. If you are going to get a case feeder stick with the XL650. If not the LNL. If you are going to do lots of calibers and small runs LNL. The LNL powder measure is way better than the Dillon. The LNL is simple and easy to maintain. Takes a bit more effort to seat primers but no problems. I load 223 on it as well as just about all pistol calibers. I leave the Dillon set up for 9 major. I develope all loads on the LNL it is just easier.

What kind of precision rifle?

I load 6.5Creedmoor on my LNL. BUT.. i dont use the powder measure. I process brass in one step(size), then hand prime(press prime works ok), then RCBS chargemaster, then seat bullets on LNL. Works great.

The powder measure is great depending on your powder. Works sub MOA with .223 and RL15, about MOA with 6.5 and H4350. Well under MOA on the RCBS.

(my 6.5 CM brass hasnt needed trimmed yet)

How is te LNlL to use without the feeder?

Lookin to load about 500 9mm and a few hundred 260 and 223 per month.

I load in two steps now and charge with a chargemaster as well

Also I would really only want the casefeed for pistol stuff if I ever start shooting high volume .

Have you guys checked runout with the LNL? My 550 loads more conc tric than my Forster coax did

550 is a great press. Even for pistol. But it's a little slow compared to the 650.

650 is just a great press.

LnL is annoying in many ways. Especially the case feeder. I simply can't recommend it.

There are things you can do to a Dillon to tighten up some things. Hozer loads a lot of rifle on a 550.

I have no problem with the ammo made from the 550. I just real prefer the auto indexing even if hand feeding the cases.

rrflyer I loaded 2000 rd a month on the lock and load for 2 years then picked up 2 xl650's. I was shooting 38SC, just like the xl650 if there is not a brass in station one when you seat it is going to be shorter. With my case feeder and the bullet feeder going on the LNL it is annonying to stop every 5 minutes to dump in primers, and its about the same on the 650 using the bullet feeder either is capable of a 100 rounds every six minutes.

I'm a binge loader I get low and I'll open a case of bullets and load till they are gone, then order another case. To me running 500 is a start. I load 9 major on both, and its the worst caliber I think due to the mix of brass you get, lots of crimped primer trash in with the good stuff etc.

I've had the 650 for about two years now, I still can't love it, I do love the LNL. Whats annonying about the XL650 you finish a 1000 rds and come back a couple day later and the darn thing starts doing wierd caca and you have to take it all apart clean it adjust 5 differnt things and it works again. The LNL once indexed properly just sits there and runs, no fing adjustments, just keep the primer slide area clean and stroke it. Yes the case feed takes the patience of jobe to adjust but once set it works great. After you do it a few times it gets easier.

I tried loading 45 without the case feeder that lasted about 100 rounds, too darn spoiled. When I never had one it was no problem. No I don't like loading without the bullet feeder, but I do load with a hand full of bullets which makes it fast just like loading 4 in shotgun.

My friend a GM of old can load faster on his 550 than I can with case and bullet feeder, he is so darn fast you can't see his hands move. Disgusting, he shoots even faster. :devil:

Hahah. Yah I had the 650 with kiss bullet feeder for a while and I'd have the GF stand by to load primers while I cranked away!

I may just suck it up and stick with the 550 for now....

I think I may just need a different outlook. Instead of batch loading 2,000 maybe just do a few hundred at a time.

Hahah. Yah I had the 650 with kiss bullet feeder for a while and I'd have the GF stand by to load primers while I cranked away!

I may just suck it up and stick with the 550 for now....

I think I may just need a different outlook. Instead of batch loading 2,000 maybe just do a few hundred at a time.