Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 vs P229 ergonomics

arguy57

I am going to buy a sig p226 or p229 srt pistol in 9mm. The problem is, there isn't a Sig dealer anywhere near where I live! I really like how the 229 is shorter but the 226 looks a little more ergonomic. What should I do? My hands are medium size. Not very meaty either. What pistol do you think would fit my hand better? I know how the triggers are so dry firing one a few times in a shop doesn't really matter to me. I like the triggers. So do I try to find a dealer over an hour away or do I buy one or the other off of the Osage County Guns website? The one's I've found on that site seem to be a pretty good deal. The whole "buying before you handle it" is scaring me though... Just need some advice if you have some to offer.

Thanks

Edited by arguy57

Bass Pro Shops had a Sig P229 that I was able to handle before I decided to purchase it. Ergonomically it is fantastic and I really enjoy shooting it. The first time I picked it up it felt very natural. My hands are normal sized, not very meaty, and I can barely palm a regulation basketball. You can't go wrong with the P229!

depends on what the gun is going to be used for. range work? self defense/carry, USPSA matches or a combo. my vote goes for the P226 for a multi-purpose gun. if you're going to carry it primarily and then do some range work I would go for the P229.

depends on what the gun is going to be used for. range work? self defense/carry, USPSA matches or a combo. my vote goes for the P226 for a multi-purpose gun. if you're going to carry it primarily and then do some range work I would go for the P229.

It'll be used as a range and home defense gun.

I own a SIG 229 in 9mm, and an older Folded slide 226 also in 9mm. I also own a 228, a 220, 239 and I owned a 226 in .40 (I sold it to a good friend who needed a good gun). The best answer is to drive the hour to a store that has both in stck, and try both out. Both weapons have similar mag well dimensions a 9mm 226 mag will fit in a 9mm 229 so the grip radius will be similar (not the same). What you will find is that the weapon's balance is different. That is why you need to feel and hold them, as on-line specs will not be able to tell you what fits best in your hand. I have shot and carried the P229, and perfer the P229 for CCW over the 226. I've also shot the 229 in IDPA style competion,the TDA system gives up ground to the stiker fired weapons. The 226 is a good duty pistol, but I found it a little large for ccw. If the weapon will be used for home defense, and target shooting on the range I would lean towards the 226 with it's longer sight radius. Again, I recomend wrapping your hand around the weapon, and maybe shooting it before you buy.

I have both the 229 and 226 in .40. My 229 is an older model that I bought in 1995. The 226 is a 2006 model.

The 229 is slightly wider in the grip than the 226. I'm talking about the classic grips, not the E2 grips. However, the 229 is a slightly smaller gun in length and height. I carry the 229 IWB and it fits pretty good. I have carried the 226, but the 229 is a bit better. I tried the Reduced Reach Trigger (short trigger) and didn't like it at all. The shot broke too far back for my taste. I switched back to the standard trigger. The Reduced Reach Trigger is different than the Short Reset Trigger. I have the SRT in my 226 and I like it a lot. If you find the E2 grips and the Reduced Reach Trigger not to your liking, they can be switched out. The best way is to feel how they fit in your hand and where your finger is when the shot breaks.

I started shooting USPSA with the 229 in L10. After a while, I picked up a used 226 and started shooting that in Limited. My stepson, age 14, shoots the 229 in Production and his mom just bought an old West German folded-slide 226 (1989) and she's going to start shooting with us soon.

For a home defense and range gun, the 226 will be hard to beat. However, if you are going to carry, the 229 might be a better fit. It is for me. Both are fine guns.

Kevin

post-22415-0-86402300-1336516304_thumb.j

I have a 9mm 226 I use for Production, and a 9mm 229 I use for carry. Both are DA/SA with standard reach triggers. I have factory plastic grips (not E2) on the 229 and Sig aluminum grips on the 226. I don't think there's really that much difference between the two. My pinky does extend over the mag/frame gap on the 229. When I first got it, I took it to a match to wring it out and I pinched my pinky hard the first time I seated a magazine on the timer. (Ouch. :goof: ) I learned quickly to extend my pinky on reloads with the 229.

I have held an E2 9mm 229, and I really liked the feel, but I've never shot one. And, like Kevin above, I tried a short reach trigger and didn't like that. My finger had to bend too far back to be comfortable. As he said, either of these modifications can be swapped out if you so choose later on.

• 1 month later...

I would have to put my vote in for the 229. I have shot both (in 9mm only) The 226 is a great gun. It is what Navy Seals and other special ops folks carry. If you are thinking you might carry it, go with the 229. Just my two cents.

FYI: Threaded barrels are available for both guns. Nice option if cans are legal in your state.