Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Contender 357 max

I've read you can shoot 38 special as well as 357 mag in a 357 max 10 inch contender barrel. Some say you should not do it however due to it somehow damaging the barrel. I'm looking for first hand input. Anyone out there have this barrel and shoot 38 specials. I want to use the max for hunting but the 38 for fun plinking as I have a ton of 38 light loads. Thanks.

I don't know what open uspsa is. I'm new to the forum. I started using this forum to learn more about reloading so I can do more shooting and possibly enter some contests. Where is the appropriate forum for this question? This forum is named open pistols. Sounds like a forum you can post pistol questions in. Thanks.

I see this thread has been moved. Open Pistols refers to Open Division pistols used in a number of different sporting competitions. These are mostly compensated semi-autos with red dot sights.

As to your question, .38 special can be shot in .357 magnum revolvers because a .357 mag is actually a slightly longer cased .38. The .357 max is a super magnum. There should be no problem shooting a .38 special or a .357 mag in a .357 max revolver, but I'm not so sure about the Thompson contender because they are chambered differently than a revolver is.

The spec's on the Thompson web site should be able to tell you.