Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xdm 3.8 .45acp help

colbyjack

I'm buying a xdm 3.8 .45acp. Couple of questions.

1) does the sights push out? Looks dovetailed, it has fixed sights. I want adjustable sights. Cant find much for the compact. Does brownells carry some that will work. Want tritium or fiber optic.

2) what's a good carry round? Black talon, zombie Max, or pdx1?

3) where are buying your xtra 9 round Mag's? Cant find any...

4) good carry holster? I'm a big guy, owb preferred.

Last 5) do xdm shoot swc ammo that well?

Thanks for any info that can help.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been carrying an XDm 3.8 in .45 for a few months now. I went to appendix carry after a seminar that showed me just how close 'close range' is. I use a Dale Fricke Archangel holster, and the key to appendix carry is to let it flop around a bit. I'm a pretty big guy, too (5'10", 235#, 40" waist), and the pistol moves where it's most comfortable, if that makes sense.

Were I to go back to hip carry, I'd use a Crossbreed IWB, and spring for the horsehide. It's how I carried a Kimber Ultra Carry for about a year, and it was very comfortable and durable. There's a very specific place where it doesn't hit your thigh when you sit down, but the car seat doesn't bump it too much.

I've fired a few boxes of Federal Hydra-Shok through my XDm, along with a number of other hollow-points, and haven't had any failures. It's really a great pistol, very forgiving. I don't see the need for adjustable sights on a carry gun; most of my shots probably won't be carefully aimed, anyway.

When I carry an extra magazine, I just use a full-size 13-round XDm mag, without the 'sleeve'. The sleeve tends to bite my hand during a fast reload, and without it, I can use the same mag in my competition gun.

For ammo, I prefer the Federal HST +P, when I can get it.

1-dove tail yes, Dawson Precision or a custom bo-mar style install

2-any jhp round will be good

3-try Pistol Gear or Springfield having sales right now

4-not a clue

5-the M's should shoot them, they have an angled bump at the bottom of the breech face to keep the ejecting case from making contact with the bullet shoulder of the next round in the mag. The older XD's in 45 don't have this feature and most won't cycle semi-wad cutters.

Rich

• 1 year later...

Hey ColbyJack,

Been carrying an XDm compact .45 for a couple years; a great gun.

On your questions...

2) what's a good carry round? Black talon, zombie Max, or pdx1?

I carry Speer Gold Dot 185gr in the gun, and Win PDX1 230gr in the spare mag.

3) where are buying your xtra 9 round Mag's? Cant find any...

Ordered mine from Springfield, but that was quite a while back. Haven't looked recently.

4) good carry holster? I'm a big guy, owb preferred.

Like you, I'm a big guy; so I carry owb as well. Fortunately where I live, open carry is legal so if the barrel peeks out from under my carry shirt it's no big deal. I wear the Springfield holster that came w/the gun, or a shoulder holster that I found at Bass Pro. No complaints w/either...

Last 5) do xdm shoot swc ammo that well?

If there is any brand of ammo (range or sd) that the Springfield doesn't like, I haven't found it. I can honestly say, I can't remember my XDm .45 ever jamming. And I shoot it at the range normally 6 times a year; 150-200 rounds each time.

The compact mags can be hard to find sometimes. I have both 9mm & .40 XDm 3.8 Compacts and ended up getting spares from Springfield. If you will keep an eye out they run a sale like twice a year and you can save some bucks. Like Woody said though, my backup mag for the compacts is a full size and I believe the .45 mag is the same for the XD and XDm so finding one should not be an issue.