Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

B&N Nook Simple Touch

Alan Adamson

As some of you know, we jumped on this bandwagon a few months ago, no regrets.... however, we may have found an issue, not with PS on the Nook, but with the device itself.

I'm looking for feedback from people who use the NST regularly, in temps ranging from 70+, primarily for outdoor matches. I'd also like to know if the units that you are using are *new* or refurbs?

Here's why.

We have probably 12 of these things scattered between 3 clubs. What we are seeing is that as the devices are used in direct sunlight, and used to score 10-14 shooter squads, across 6 stages, that they are either developing a temperature sensitivity issue, or a screen issue. What happens is that they start to loose the registration on the display, they start to become sluggish (more so than normal with the e-ink display), and they will start to not register screen touches To the extreme, they will feel like they have locked up. However, if you get them out of the sun, cool them off by moving them back and forth in the air, and only touch them on the sides with your finger tips while holding (as opposed to cupping them in the palm of your hand), they will recover and continue to work.

For some reason out of the 12 or so that we have, a couple seems to be more prone to this than any others. Those 2 happen to be refurbs.

I'm about to make some tests with my personal NST and see if I can recreate the issue, mine is a *new* device and so far, I've never seen it act this way.

It's either a hardware problem with a couple of devices or an endemic issue with a device being used in a way that it wasn't intended. And it's either heat or sunlight that's causing the problem. I figured I'd see if others have seem this symptom? I really don't want to debug the worlds problems with this tread, so please try to keep it on topic.

We also use a set of refurbs in an indoor range, one that scores 16+ shooters on 4 stages, this range isn't exactly cool as we head into the summer, and yet we've never seen this problem with the devices in that scenario (which would be high usage in the 70+ degree category). However, remember, the black back and black bezel, will generate more heat to the device in direct sunlight, that it will indoors, so that may be the issue.... I guess I'll get my IR Thermo out and see how hot the device is when it gets this way. They don't feel uncomfortable to the touch I know that part.

So, let me know,

Alan

Alan, 10 to 1 your problem is internal heat, specifically processor heat if they come back to normal when you wave them around to cool them off. It's my understanding that the Nooks weren't really meant to run software like PS so the extra load on the processor coupled with the heat of being in the sun is most likely causing the instability. Another device that doesn't tolerate overheating is the iPhone. They'll actually display a device overheated message and won't do anything until they cool.

Considering you have to root them anyway, I'd look into downclocking them a bit from 800 MHz to say 600 on one of your units and try it. The processor should run cooler, you'd get longer battery life if you need it and I don't think you'd notice the difference.

Just my .02

Alan, 10 to 1 your problem is internal heat, specifically processor heat if they come back to normal when you wave them around to cool them off. It's my understanding that the Nooks weren't really meant to run software like PS so the extra load on the processor coupled with the heat of being in the sun is most likely causing the instability. Another device that doesn't tolerate overheating is the iPhone. They'll actually display a device overheated message and won't do anything until they cool.

Considering you have to root them anyway, I'd look into downclocking them a bit from 800 MHz to say 600 on one of your units and try it. The processor should run cooler, you'd get longer battery life if you need it and I don't think you'd notice the difference.

Just my .02

Way ahead of you there... Got Antutu CPUMaster installed and it set for 300-600mhz (down from 300-800). Will test it for awhile in that mode before making that permanent on reboot.

Also spent some time researching this issue and guess what... It's a *well known* issue and actually not related to either hardware or software! Actually it is hardware related, but not how you'd think.

It appears that these Nook Simple Touchs don't use a Capacitive or Resistive touch screen, they use something that uses IR and also has some way to sense pressure. It's a patented application made by neonode and called a zforce display... This is also why using a baggie to protect them from rain will not work. Here's the issue. What's actually happening is that there is dust and debris that gets on the display and as you use the device outside, it migrates to the edge of the screen. Well, it so happens that the IR TX/RX is also at the edge of the display and the debris refracts the signal and there by renders the touch sense ineffective, or sporadic. Because this plane of touch exists right immediately above the flat panel of the display itself, putting a baggie over the NST causes the IR to miss the touch because the thickness of the baggie raises the finger off the display by just that much and poof, no touch sense. As it relates to this debris issue, taking a fine brush, or Q-tip with the tip slight moist and running it along the edge of the display where it meets the bezel will remedy the problem.

Now I've still got to prove this out, but I put my NST in my truck today let it set out of the sun, but in the warm interior of the car, for a few hours, it was nice and warm when I picked it up, it worked perfectly... so then I threw it in the dash with the display up and let it set... it was rather hot when I picked it up again and yet it still worked perfectly. Once in good light I looked at the edge of the display where the bezel meets it and could see how debris could be trapped there or pressed them from use. I took a wide soft bristled paint brush and brushed all the debris away... some of it has a static charge so perhaps using the Qtip *and* the brush is the best way to remedy this problem.

I'll clean up the 2 suspect devices and see what happens, but from all indications this solves the problem, basically you just need to keep the display clean.... I so hope this is the fix... if so, then life will be good again! :)

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Awesome info...we just picked up 5 NST's and was wondering about heat issues...but now it sounds like I need to keep them clean.

Thanks Alan! :cheers:

On a side note...I have created a step by step document for rooting a NST. I'll create another thread for rooting.

Sounds like some canned air or a air bulb might be handy to have on hand.

Canned air is *really* bad however, it will lift the layers and blow the dust under the laminations so I would stay away from that at all costs... A small wide paint brush (artist type) works the best followed by a damp tipped Q-tip and then a dry one, all you are trying to do it get the dust and debris off the inset section of the surround around the display, there the bezel is inset.

Alan