Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berger VLD Hunting Bullet Reveiws

deerassassin22

Im looking to get into shooting out to 800 yards with a LaRue OBR 20inch 7.62. I want to get a SA Rifle for dual purpose Hunting/Matches/LR and play gun pretty much. I was looking at the Berger 175gr VLD Hunting Bullets to do all the above I have done some reading and found 168 not to be liked past 300yards. I have done alot of looking into bullet trimmers and match grade reloading process on another forum. I also will be getting a can for this weapon as well. I was wondering if anyone has shoot these bullets at yardage looking for reviews. I don't want to have to shoot Match bullets and then switch back and forth.

The Berger Hunting VLD's used to be there match bullets. I shoot the 180 grn 7mm out to 1K and they are just as accuate as the target bullets. They just supposed to be good for hunting also.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Berger .308 185gr VLD Hunting bullets for a year or so, now. I like them. Absurd accuracy. I've taken a turkey at 680 yards and a whitetail at 720. With the rig I have, 500 has become a chip shot. Haven't gotten out to the 800 yard mark that you seek, yet. In time, in time...

The only problem with the Bergers is that finding the entry wound can actually be very difficult. They don't start to expand until they are well inside the animal because they need hydraulic pressure to fill up the hole in the tip. So, it takes a second for the bullet to start really doing some damage. It goes in like a needle and comes out like a sledgehammer. The exit wound is, obviously, quite clear. But, for critiquing your shot after the fact, it's a little tough with the Berger's. Also, hitting a deer in the shoulder with one doesn't seem to put them on their face quite as fast as a bullet that starts to mushroom on contact. By the way, none of my findings have any science behind them. Just some internet jackhole's observations.

With that said, I don't shoot anything else. I've tried the 168 gr. Bergers and just couldn't find a load that would group very well out of my rifle. I'm sure it's my fault, though. Not the bullet.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting a VLD to shoot accurately in a semi auto will be extremely hard, VLD's in my experience like to be at or in the lands, Hornady 178 BTHP has a BC of .530ish, many a pig in north TEXAS have been slayed with match bullets.