Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement for 3N38

kdj

I guess I'll have to look at HS{6,7} and see how it works out. I don't like dirty loads though. I'm sticking with 121g Zero JHPs since I'll probably wander in IPSC land sooner or later and like to stick with a load.

The 3N38 manages an impressive gas volume ... as I'm sure you'll tell next time you RO :P

I'm really happy with the shorty so far. It's much faster to move and there's less dot movement than with my long gun. However, I only have 300 rounds through it so far so it is (and I am) still a work in progress B)

Kevin

Kevin I shoot a SVI IMM Open Masterpiece with 10.5 grs.of 3n38 and ROs Hate me :lol: A frend is about half deaf and he couldent understand what everyone was bicthin about,Then he got behind me at a 45 deg angle while i was shooting and the concussion colapsed the cup on his ear muffs :D

Steve

Guest Larry Cazes

Yeah...my experiences ROing at our clubs are similiar.

Kevin, is 3N38 that much cleaner? I get showered with unburnt powder everytime I RO "theothereric" when he shoots 3n38. The blast is so unpleasant that I find it hard to really watch what he is doing.

Despite the original motivation, I'm OK with the delivery question today since I snagged all the 3N38 I could find :-).

I'm still interested in alternatives though since it seems that VV often has delivery issues.

I find it surprizing that 7625 gets recommendations since that seems to be pretty fast for this application. HS-7 looks like a prospect. I hadn't thought about 105 since I hadn't heard anyone recommend it before.

Anyone know where one can find SP-2? Some people rave over that.

Answering Larry's question about relative cleanliness: 2 shots of TrueBlue produced more soot on the gun the 20 shots with 3N38 - we were examining things closely :)

Thanks for all the input. I've learned that it's not too painful to load a mag full of a different powder and it's quickly obvious whether or not it's better. Now I just have to work out what to do with 4.9 pounds of unloved powders of various ilks :blink:

Kevin

Kevin

When you find someone that is new to open just offer to discount some power for them and they will jump at the chance. seems that somepeople just have to prove things to thereself.

Guest Larry Cazes

Kevin, let me know if you try HS7. I would love to compare notes since I am using HS6. I am seeing a small amount of unburnt powder around the ejection port with HS6 when loaded to 172+ pf and this tells me it is just a bit slow but the results are excellent. Since HS7 is slower then 6 I suspect it will be too slow and will burn dirty. since I am new to this, I am surprised by how much flatter the gun shoots when loaded to 172+ versus 165pf. I am finding that 38super is a fun chambering to load for! :rolleyes: TASC this weekend?

I have used some HS-7 and found it did leave a some unburnt powder. More then the all the other powders I tried (3N38, 7625, 4756, Power Pistol). I am loading for 38 supercomp. The gun is an SV with two holes in the barrel and a 7 port comp.

I have also found, as mentioned above, that this particular gun shots much better (flatter) at a higher, 172+ power factor.

I went with the 4756 and 124 MG JHPs. This combination works well and I like the way it shoots. I try and buy the 5lb containers because the powder can vary from lot to lot.

Talking about HS-7.

I have used it and my experience is it is dirty and leaves residue in the barrel

And comp. The way I test powders for residue is to shoot over a 2’x2’ piece of

Plywood painted white, it will show lots of things.

Thanks... normally been using VV3N37 but after reading some posts on faster barrel deterioration due to high temp/pressure, I'll be looking at SP2 and 3N38 as alternatives.... not sure if I can find any IMR close by, but if I can, I'll test out a lb. maybe...

Thanks lots for the help (",) and regards,

I have not tried 3N37, but it is close to 4756 on the burn rate chart.

I've used both and the load was only about .1 grn difference between the two in my 5" w/Dawson Comp and 2 TJ holes. I couldn't feel any difference between them when shooting either.

Since HS7 is slower then 6 I suspect it will be too slow and will burn dirty. ... TASC this weekend?

So far, I've seen that slower is better in my gun ... but as I learned in a previous thread, burn rate is not the only variable.

I will try some HS-7 at some point but will probably just stick with 3N38 'til after the Nats. I'd like it if this was a little more of a science than an art though.

I won't be at TASC, since I'm going to Fresno to let Charlie do some final tweaks after observing it in action :P.

I have discovered that rapidly firing a mag full of my current load on an indoor range with a lot of concrete around leads to an understanding of why people double plug!

Kevin

I am switching back to my 9x23 open gun. I shot 3n37 at the time....uh 6 years ago! Does anyone have any advice on where to start since Vit looks like it will be hard to come by. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

The advantage of a match in AZ is that some people DRIVE and are generous enough to play packmule for those of us who didn't.

So unless Indiana james decided to go back to some state other than CA, the powder is almost within reach :P