Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357 max scope vs red dot

mmosur

I have a contender with a 10 inch (I think) barrel in 357 max. I want to try hunting with it this year for hogs and deer. Most shots are probably 50-100. Trying to decide on whether to put a scope on or a red dot. Any suggestions? Any experience with this caliber? Amy input Is appreciated!

I've never used a pistol scope. 2x, 4x? I understand the more magnification the harder it is to acquire the target.

My .02 worth, is to go with a good red dot. I lot easier to use and in low light situations a lot more user friendly. I started whitetail hunting with a TC 10" 44 with, 2x scope. Then went back to 44 revolver with reddot. I keep my shots under 60 yds.

I've decided on a red dot. But I can't decide on which one. I want to keep the cost down. I can't figure out which red dots will hold up to recoil of a large caliber handgun. Any suggestions on specific brands and models?

I've decided on a red dot. But I can't decide on which one. I want to keep the cost down. I can't figure out which red dots will hold up to recoil of a large caliber handgun. Any suggestions on specific brands and models?

I have been running a Millet Reddot 1" tube on my 41Mag, but have also had it on two other 44 Mags and it is still working fine. Less than $100 at Academy Sports. Bushnell also makes a neat looking small tube reddot but I have no experience with it. But, it is next on my list . I like the small size of it.

I might try the millet. I'd go $200 or so if needed. I just don't want to go real high dollar as I've never used a red dot and am not sure if I will even like it or not for hunting.