Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backstrap Question

kmcclellan

In your humble opinion, would you rather use a smaller backstrap for strong hand dominance or a larger for more weak hand contact area? Have you tried it both ways and what effect did it have? I feel more comfortable with the small backstrap but I feel that my grip is more consistant and the trigger location on my finger seems to give a more consistant, smoother pull.

What I did for me and my daughter was shoot a 20 round group at 10 or 15 yards with each backstrap. It didn't make any difference which one felt better. I liked the medium, my daughter liked the small. We both shot best with the large, my daughter dramatically better. You might try that.

I have gone back and forth between the two straps many times. The small allows for easy manipulation of the mag release. But the feel of the large grip is so different with the side bulge that it really works great for me to get a consistent and very secure grip, with like you said more surface area for support hand. Also as seen on my targets in a match my second shot on a target is much closer with the large grip. The only thing that suffers is the stretch to the mag release. I have settled for now, on using the large.

Sdm74, I had the same concern about being able to manipulate the mag release. I actually reversed it to the right side of the firearm and now release with the middle finger of my Strong hand.... Takes a little getting used to but it will help you retain a better grip through reloads. Just a thought.... Switching that release is pretty easy to accomplish as well.

Sdm74, I had the same concern about being able to manipulate the mag release. I actually reversed it to the right side of the firearm and now release with the middle finger of my Strong hand.... Takes a little getting used to but it will help you retain a better grip through reloads. Just a thought.... Switching that release is pretty easy to accomplish as well.

I thought of that, but I felt my grip still moving to hit it on that side also, just differently.

so I just left it on the thumb side.