Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 minimum barrel length ?

jarhead0311

Hello all

New guy here

My dilema

I have a Rem 1100 that I used to use in 3 gun matches. I'm retireing it to be a self defence gun and would like it a little shorter.

Currently the OA length is about 25"

Thats 21 1/2" barrel and a 4" Zapperelli Compensator with about a 1/2" of the barrel buried in the comp. (that I want to reuse)

It has a rib so my options are limited to the stanctions for the rib. Allowing for a 1/2" buried in the comp I have 3 choices

15 1/2", 17", or 19 1/2" plus another 4" for the comp

Will the gun still be able to function reliably with either of those 3 barrel lengths? I would prefer the 17" or even less if possible. Has anyone cut them that short and it still worked ok? I'll prob have #1 buck and slugs as ammo

Thanks

Dan

Edited by jarhead0311

BE Careful, 18 inches is min legal length for shotgun barrel with out federal tax stamp (read pricey). There are ways the comp could be counted in that measurement has to be "permenantly attached" pinned and welded ect. tread carefully here and get professional advice on using the comp in the measurement.

I would seriously re-examine your decision to keep the compensator. Muzzle compensators generally don't do much to control recoil on shotguns (not enough pressure), or if by lucky chance you have the one design that does work, it will increase blast considerably which is not desirable for home defense. The 4" of barrel lost will also significantly reduce velocity.

IMHO you would be better off chopping the barrel to 18.5" with a hacksaw, opening up the gas ports until it runs 100%, relocating the bead and calling it good.

If you insist on going below 18", you will have to enlarge the gas ports considerably, and even then the short dwell time will make the gun finicky - it will run one day, not the next, run one load but not the same load from a different manufacturer etc. etc. With lives on the line, this is unwise.

agree with slealthy on reliability issues under 18 inches, I know the guys on our SRT teams use really short barrel shot guns as entry guns aand only use pump actions due to reliablity issues.

I've taken an 1100 barrel down to 18.5 just for shiggles, but I had to drill the ports pretty big. I don't remember the number, but Jerry Kuhnhausen's book has the factory specs for port size based on barrel length.