Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Affordable electronic ears?

Seale

Other than DB attenuation, another important consideration is a low profile so you can put your head down on a Rifle/Shotgun.

this "stock interference" can cause the earmuffs to "break their seal" around your ear( especially when you shoulder the rifle in a hurry); thus, allowing the loud shotgun/rifle blast to enter your ear.

the Howard Leight Impact Sports I've had no problems with; but I've seen some Pro Ears that were huge and definitely "pistol only".

Edited by SlowShooter

After breaking a second pair of Dillons, I ended up with the Leights. They're at least as good as the Dillons, and they were cheaper than the price Dillon wanted to replace/fix my HP1s.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a pair of Howard Leight R-01526 Impact for USD60 (eBay) including delivery to Australia. Great value for money!

I've been using Peltor H10A (non electronic) and/or moulded in-ear monitors (electronic). The Impacts offer slightly less attenuation than the H10A but the convenience of hearing your fellow shooters makes up for it.

Edited by MultiplexMan

Why do you choose to use muffs when there are foam ear plugs for sale with a 33 DB attenuation which is higher than most muffs. What problems did you encounter that caused you to switch.

The whole point to _electronic_ earmuffs is they allow "normal" sound and voice to pass-through but they "clamp-down" the loud sound when there is a gunshot.

With electronics, I can hear the Range Officer commands clearly when I am shooting. When I am not shooting and I am pasting/resetting targets, I can hear commands like "range is safe" and "clear the range! we are going hot!".

Also If you are taking a class or in other group setting, it is very good for hearing the instructor talk while still protecting your ears from damage.

Edited by SlowShooter