Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 Cycling problems. UPDATE Page 3

schapman43

Eric,

Here are some measurements, each one taken multiple times in agreement.

O-ring diameter (thickness) = .072

11-87 magazine tube OD = .997

11-87 O-ring groove OD = .977

I did not have any new ones left but the measurements were the same on some with 500+ rounds on em and the ones I put in 25 rounds ago .072 for all.

I only have one 11-87 so YMMV on the tube measurements

Older and newer o-rings were a just loose fit in the .977 groove, but were a slight stretch fit over .997 tube diameter.

BTW, no matter what color they start as, after they get hit with lube and carbon they are all black.

--

Regards,

Looking forward to hearing about the O-Rings.

I tried replacing the o-ring in my rifle today and also tried running double o-rings with no luck. I still have the action locking back occasionaly with a shell on the carrier. I did notice that it usually happens on about the 2nd or 3rd shot of my 6rnd magazine. I may cut the spring down like someone else suggested.

The thought just occured to me that maybe this is a gas port issue. If there wasnt enough gas going through the system the bolt would come back slower than needed and may not be in the correct position when the shells pops out of the magazine. I did try the double o-ring thing and the bolt wouldnt eject shells most of the time. Seemed to make the problem worse. I think I may try drilling out the gas ports.

I may cut the spring down like someone else suggestedl

Don’t cut that spring quite yet.

I have heard it said that on most 9-10 round extension tubes you want 12-14” of spring coming out of the mag tube before you cap it, mine has 18 inches of spring that I have to cram back in. It seems to me that if the shell hits carrier and the interceptor latch a little harder, it’s gonna work a little better at releasing the bolt and not just leaving a round sitting there looking at ya from the ejection port. I would stop here and check that the new mag tube and spring have enough sprung length even if it is supposedly extra power.

Does the spring have at least the length of the mag tube left when it is inserted fully into the both the extension mag tube and the magazine before compressing? If not, it may need stretching. I remember you saying the mag tube was a bit rusty, I’m wondering if you are just not getting enough shell velocity out of the mag onto the carrier from a combination of friction and not enough spring. When you insert rounds, on even the first one you should feel the spring push back rather nicely until the gate comes down.

If you do have enough spring, then just go and drill the gas ports out like TMC suggested. You can open them up to .120 with out any risk of it being too much.

BTW. If two o-rings made it worse then it probably is a bolt speed problem and you need more gas, but first check that shells are hitting the carrier hard enough to operate the bolt release.

--

Regards

Edited by George

George, thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone else would be on tonight :)

I think the shells have plenty of velocity coming out of the magazine. When I rack the bolt by hand quickly I can see a shell fly out of the magazine and it looks like it bounces off the release tab. I took care of the rust problem the other day and the mag tube is looking good.

I'm going to try the gas port suggestion. I just hope my drill bit set has some bits that I can use.

First find a bit that fits the existing holes and then use the next one up in the index. Do a careful inspection before drilling to make sure they weren’t partially obstructed in the first place and clean up any weirdness with a same size drill first. You can also open up one port at a time.

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

--

Regards,

Yeah, Craftsmen :P

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Any good high speed bit you can drill metal with (most will). Use a cutting oil when you drill. Make sure you follow the old hole and don’t wobble cut. Inspect for burrs in barrel, though it should chase clean.

--

Regards,

George, my theory on the spring tension issue was that too much might actually retard the release of the shell by putting too much pressure on the tab.

I cut the spring accordingly and I never had a malfunction until I installed an easyloader, with the double o ring, regardless of charge weight.

Unlike the 1911 it all been guess work for me any the frustration is best demonstrated by my gunsmith whos 1100 doesn't work and he can't figure out why!

I should get Patrick's book

Just wanted to thank you folks for all the info and suggestions. I got my 1100 running 100% by drilling out the gas ports a bit. I drilled them out to .0937 and its working great with the Federal Wal-Mart #8 shot. I plan on drilling them out to .109 tomorrow just to be safe.

I would leave the gas port size as is " if it ain't broke don't fix it !"

And a word of advice on drilling the ports don't rush it! use a slow feed rate to avoid a broken drill bit.

Craig