Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan upper on 2011 frame?

Hey all,

I just started shooting limited a few days ago with a 6" fusion (basically re-branded STI 2011) in 40 S&W. I like 40, but I don't like giving up the capacity from my old M&P (24+1!) for 3 gun and fun shoots. My buddy just sent me an STI spartan 9mm at a really good price. WHat I'm wondering is, can I basically slap the spartan upper onto the other frame, get some 9mm mags and go to town? This would seem perfect, as I could shoot 3 gun and steel challenge (plus maybe IDPA) with the 9, but limited with the 40.

If It's not just plug and play, how much fitting of the slide would have to be done to get it to work?

Thanks,

Steve

Tough to say until a gunsmith looks at it, if even possible. I did this to two guns, both having two slides from different models (one was brand new). The ejector on the .40 should work with the 9mm (that's what happened to my STI Eagle) but the slide/rails and lug will have to be fit.

Are they both the same frame cut? Para/Clark or Wilson/Nowlin?

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I think a stock Spartan has a standard barrel with the ramp in the frame. Your 6" has a ramped barrel and the frame cut. So unless I'm missing something, it will not work.

Your best bet would be to have a new 9mm slide and barrel fitted to the frame.

• 6 months later...

I'd like to hear more on this topic too.

I am looking at doing just the same thing (except the spartan I have is a 45)

From what I understand I could just remove the complete slide from the spartan, fit the new frame to the slide (no big sorcery), and go shoot it.

The one thing I am worried about is wether or not the barrel timing would still be ok, but then again the spartan is a non-ramped barrel gun, so timing could be just a matter of using the right sized link (I have some wilson link kits to play around with)

Edited by chemo

For 3 gun and Fun shoots you just need to adjust your reload plan. Well no, a standard 9 mm 140mm sti mag will hold 21, with a dawson +1 SNL maybe 22, now if you do a little research you can get 21 in a 40 mag, so the argument here is null for capacity, ok how about 22, check out Manny Braggs site he sells a 22 round mag for 40. He waxed everone on a 24 round stage without a reload, yes he ate the 10 points on the last shot. (Double Tap 2008 Stage 1).

I can get 24 9mm in a SVI tube with a Dawson +2 but try finding some of them, tubes or base pads.

Now we are down to the recoil, load some minor 40 like shooting an airsoft.

Back to your original idea, the Spartan slide may not even fit the frame, yea who knows till you try it, next you will need a new barrel with a ramp, link bushing. My smith was very economical I hate that he retired, but lets just say you are looking at a minimum of $600 and more likley $800 to get that top going on the 2011 frame, then you are going to need mags base pads etc so call it a $1000.00. Once fit to the 2011 you can use the spartan frame for a paper weight to hold down all the smith bills.

Heck but it is only money!

23 rounds is fairly easy to obtain in a 9mm with sti tubes, grams springs and follower and either a dawson +1 or SNL. Its really not worth the extra money to have a 9mm top end for fun shoots and the ocasional 3 gun. If your pushing the gun to the max capacity in 3 gun your probibally better off just doing a reload as can push it a little harder with a planned reload and know ya have extra if you need it rather than have to make sure your 1 for 1 as you have no room for error.