Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Action in SC Production Division

rgkeller

If a competitor is shooting a DA pistol like a CZ Shadow with a DA first shot and SA on subsequent shot, must the competitor return the pistol to hammer down configuration at the end of each string?

Took me a minute but here is the rule

8.2 Competitor Ready Condition

This designates when, under the direct command of a Range Officer:

8.2.1 The handgun is prepared as specified in the written stage briefing, and

is in compliance with the requirements of the relevant Division.

I just realized that you may be asking about Steel Challenge and the answer is the same as the SCSA rule is uspsa production is per uspsa production rules

A.1 General Principles: All shooters compete for overall placement in

the match. In addition to overall placement, shooters may also compete for Division-specifi c awards based on equipment type.

A.1.1 Equipment requirements for the USPSA, IDPA, ICORE

and Cowboy Single Action Divisions shall be governed by

the respective USPSA, IDPA, ICORE and SASS rules and

equipment criteria regarding fi rearm and holster confi gurations and rule interpretations.

A.1.2 Failure to meet the appropriate (USPSA, IDPA, ICORE

or SASS) rules and equipment criteria will disqualify the

competitor from Division-specifi c award consideration.

The competitor will remain eligible for overall placement

awards.

A.1.3 A competitor whose equipment fails to meet Division-specifi c equipment requirements may be moved into another

Division in which their equipment qualifi es, at the Match

Director’s discretion (see 2.1.1)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, new SC shooter here. I just watched my first match this past weekend and came here to actually ask the same thing, as I have a CZ SP-01 Shadow.

Just to make sure I have this correct. At the start of the first 5 shots at "make ready", you load the mag, rack the slide, lower the hammer manually, put on the safety, and holster the gun? When you're done shooting the first 5 shots, you have to again drop the hammer manually, put the firearm on safe and then re-holster. Is that how it goes?

Hey guys, new SC shooter here. I just watched my first match this past weekend and came here to actually ask the same thing, as I have a CZ SP-01 Shadow.

Just to make sure I have this correct. At the start of the first 5 shots at "make ready", you load the mag, rack the slide, lower the hammer manually, put on the safety, and holster the gun? When you're done shooting the first 5 shots, you have to again drop the hammer manually, put the firearm on safe and then re-holster. Is that how it goes?

If it's the same as USPSA rules, if the hammer is down you don't have to apply the safety.

I think it should depend on the specifics of your local situation, i.e. what division they're calling it. I'm assistant MD of our local weeknight steel series, and we don't have a 'production' division, just limited and open for centerfire pistols (plus revolver, 22 iron-sight, 22 open and 22 rifle). So if you shoot a cz, like I do, you are welcome to start it cocked and locked, and re-apply the safety after each string. The key is that you have to put the gun into a safe condition before you reholster it, whether that's hammer down or cocked and locked.

If you actually have a division called 'production', then chances are it's based on uspsa production and you must start with the hammer down.