Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety and well-being

BigDave

"We have to wake up to the fact that everything is connected to everything else. Our safety and well-being cannot be individualized matters anymore. If they are not safe, there is no way that we can be safe. Taking care of other people's safety is taking care of our own safety. To take care of their well-being is to take care of our own well-being. It is the mind of discrimination and separation that is at the foundation of all violence and hate."

Thich Nhat Nanh, adapted from his talk to members of the United States Congress on September 10, 2003. Published in the July 2004 issue of Shambhala Sun.

Dave, that's an interesting perspective. :D

I mean no offense to you by my total disagreement with this guy's statement.

Sure, it is good to be careful with fire and knives and things that may hurt us. But, anyone who offers safety on a societal level is a manipulator and is not to be trusted in the least.

It is the mind of discrimination and separation that is at the foundation of all violence and hate."

Any man who supposes that he can grant safety to his fellow men has a huge ego indeed! And human ego is the real basis for "discrimination and seperation".

The time and place of my birth, and of my death, have already been appointed by my Father in Heaven. And this dude offers me safety? HA! I'll probably out live him. :lol:

To hell with safety and all who offer it. I was born for freedom. And I'll die free.

Sam,

I took a read of the above post from an entirely different perspective it seems.

My read was not to look out for others as a big brother or protector, but to look out for others to serve my own needs and desires. ;)

More along the lines of:

United We Stand...

(I don't know if that was the author's intent, but it is my perspective.)

My read was not to look out for others as a big brother or protector, but to look out for others to serve my own needs and desires.  ;)

I originally wrote a long reply...but, heres the condensed version

Mind your own business and I'll take care of MINE!

I do understand - and agree - to United We Stand. But let it be by free choice and not at the direction of an individual or group with some self imagined moral or intellectual superiority. <_<

I'd like to ask Thich Nhat Nanh what his view is about the private and individual ownership of firearms is?

What did the next paragraph or page or his statement of the next day have to add to this? Don't believe your likely to see Good Ole Thich down shooting his Para with the boys....

Ya Reckon?

Great perspective Flex! And you too Merlin. I too could better judge his intent if I knew his stand on the personal ownership of weapons.

I'm tickled pink that my state issues concealed carry permits to individuals, so that as a society, we are all safer from crime. And I agree that we should go after terrorists who have declared war on us, no matter which borders they hide behind. If that is his meaning, I have misjudged his motive entirely.

Maybe I took the guy wrong? :(

It was the part where he said "Our safety and well-being cannot be individualized matters anymore" that really blew my skirt up! I guarantee you, if someone attacks you with a knife, or breaks into your home, it is a very individualized matter and always will be.

Ah, words! They can have so many meanings, or no meaning at all. That is the beauty of action.

While I rarely reply to posts of this nature, I thought now might be a time to get my feet wet, so to speak.

When I read Mr. Nahn's quote, I was thinking on a Global scale, not a personal one. I suspect that in that context, his meaning is a bit more clear.

Would you agree that if Mexico and Canada are safe (relatively), that the US would be more safe, or if Mexico had a dictator like S. Korea, and Canada had Kadafy for PM we would be less safe?

I think that taking care of someone safety is making sure of their Liberty and (relative) freedom.

And from the land of plenty, ensuring a neighbors well-being (globally) by making available food and medicine would make sure that famine and disease is lessened.

I guess that this is like giving a neighbor a hand up when he needs it.

Mike

yep...I read it different...especially the part that blew your skirt up (nice legs ;)).

My read on that was this...

Suppose I am sitting on my hill looking out thru my Dick Tracey spy glass...and I happen to spot a herd of crazed antelope, toting swords, and heading toward your hill with nothing but malice and evil in their fiery red eyes.

Being a good neighbor (and realizing I might be next...or have nobody to swap bear skins with) it might be in my best interest to send up a smoke signal telling you to cowboy up.

Of course...who knows what this guy meant. If he is suggesting that I send off a pony-express telegram to land of many tee-pees back east...then, I'd need to shave my legs (cause that would blow my skirt up too).

I mean no offense to you by my total disagreement with this guy's statement.

Understood. And I, your's. ;)

I didn't post this quote with any thought of this author's thoughts on personal gun ownership. Never came to mind. And, I think it is irrelevant, at least to the quote.

To give perspective on the author, he is a native of Vietnam and was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Dr. Martin Luthar King, Jr.

My take on it is this, and it is nearly paraphasing the original quote: let's take care of one another. Which, I think, is one helluva idea. :)

To set your mind at ease, Sam, and others who might share similar views; I don't think the author did or would suggest that you lie back and let others take care of your safety. There is nothing wrong with self-defense. As the quote begins "...everything is connected to everything else".

Dave, I definately understand the quote better now and thanks for your patience in explaining the man's point of reference. I'm safetied and holstered. ;)

After a few days of reflection, I realize that when it comes to personal liberty, I'm a lot like an ill-tempered yard dog that raises his hackles and growls at every innocent passer-by.

Flex, I've had my eye on that particular mob of antelope and an uneasy truce exists for the present. They have been watching my practice on the 100 yd El Prez(AR-15) with growing concern. Everytime I raise my hands and turn my back, they beat a hasty retreat. :lol:

Liscense?? I don't got to show you no stinking liscense!