Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LDA 1640 Hammer Spring?

I am getting light strikes with my 1640 LDA. I have completely detail cleaned it and I still get light strikes sometimes. I even taped the grip safety down to make sure it was fully depressed, still got two light strikes in 60 rounds last night.

Does the LDA use the standard mainspring?

The Wolff site says the stock 1640 uses the 23# mainspring, did not specify LDA or not.

Is 23# right or too much?

Does anybody lighten the firing pin spring to get more hammer hit? (that's an old trick used on HI-powers)

A few years back I emailed Para and asked about the spring weight in my P16.40. Below was the reply from Larry Steuerwald.

"..Recoil spring is 18 lbs. Hammer spring is a cut 23 lb spring resulting

is approx 21 lbs..."

in the LDA, your main spring (correct terminology, "hammer spring" could be confused with the hammer return spring, another one in the LDA...) has great influence on the trigger (release, not pretravel) pull weight. It uses the standard 1911 main springs. So... try a 17 lb, probably the lowest you should go. Use an ISMI, then you won't have to change again for years to come...

--Detlef

I use a 19 lb mainspring in my P16-40 and haven't had any misfires using winchester small pistol primers. What primers are you using?

Also, I've heard of the stock Para firing pin and retainer mushrooming so that the firing pin cannot return to it's normal position and the hammer doesn't strike it as hard.

On all the LDA's if you are having light strikes use a longer

fireing pin the stock ones are to short to use anything other

than the stock item- the stock item is # 29 it is called a main spring-

the hammer return spring is inside the hammer group and has nothing

to do with anything except to keep the hammer forward all the time.

it

is item # 56. Youcangoto para's web site and get a print out of

the Pistol parts nomenclature and # list.

Jim anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols