Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 barrell...forcing cone?

mikeAZ

Was gone to have the "forcing cone" reamed on my new to me Mossberg 930 28" ported barrel,BUT I don't see the typical forcing cone "ring".... the barrel looks absolutely smooth (It's near new). I thought Mossbergs 930's all had a forcing cone? Maybe not with the "acc-u-choke system?... Help, please.

Edited by mike NM

Have read on "errornet" that legnthening and polishing forcing cone allows pellet charge to transition to main part of barrel with less disruption leading to fewer deformed pellets, tighter pattern, less leading and slightly less recoil. Supposedly high end shotguns come from factory with this already done, but i cannot confirm as i dont own a high end sg. On my 930 jm sg the for ing cone is rough compared to rest of barrel using a sharp pencil to examine. Plan on polishing with a 800 grit flex hone. Will do complete barrel as there appears to be a subtle change is surface finish half way down the barrel. Not a big deal but i already have the flex hone.

Mark

Edited by mpom

You can do what you wish, but I have had it done twice with minimal improvement. I primarily shoot Browning's and Winchester's and some have the Vector-Pro factory lengthened forcing cone(Maxus and Cynergy) and when comparing patterns with my Silvers and SX2s, they are virtually identical.

I would "Google" the article "How to deep clean a shotgun barrel", it involves almost mirror polishing the bore. It is easy, cheap and effective. I did it to a SX2 and compared it to an unpolished barrel and there was a slight increase in pattern density, but the big pay off was how easy it was to clean. I have my newest 930 Waterfowl (unported barrel)chucked up in the vise now ready to polish. I don't think I will do the ported barrel that actually came with the gun, it would be tough to polish the area near the porting I would guess, not something I want to chance. If you find the actual article on Old Gobbler, he has actually done several 835's and reported no damage to the ports.

Decided to try basic polishing using JB stuff; the bore cleaner followed by "bore bright" to get a mirror finish. Flex hone, even 800 grit seems too aggressive for a factory new barrel. What convinced me was the post above referring to deep cleaning, and speaking with Briley. Will pay attention to forcing cone during polishing. Plan on using a brush with a patch embedded with jb, rod chucked in a drill, doing a few passes while avoiding lingering in place.

Can always use the hone later, if needed. Need to remember "opposite of good is better".

Mark