Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fluorescent lights and electric scales

Ray S

It's time to upgrade my scale and I've been looking at the Dillon digital scale. While searching around I saw where people are saying that fluorescent lights and cell phone can interfere with the scale.

Is anyone having trouble with this?

I haven't heard about cell phones causing problems, but yes on flourescent lights. Check the voltage at the plug with the lights on and off.If the power fluctuates, then find a different line for your scale.

Just recently got my Hornady Auto Charge powder dispenser and us it right under a small flourescent light and have had no problems. I would highly recommend it to anyone into reloading. I did it manually for so many years and finally decided to go electronic and it's great.

You will be good if you use a circuit that does not have anything attached that needs the high starting current, eg. 1-phase AC motors, fluorescent lights, AC, a fridge.

The fluorescent lights with the old-style magnetic ballasts are known to cause interference, the ones with newer electronic ballasts are much better.

If you must share a circuit, consider replacing the ballasts. The electronic ones use less power, and eliminate the flicker and hum.

Edited by Linear Thinker

I have 8 different fluorescent lights within a meter of my scale and my bench. If they impact the scale I have not been able to see it over the last 5 years. I have two cantilever lamps with compact fluorescent bulbs not more then 8" from the scale with no problems.

Maybe RCBS just shields theirs better than others?