Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting ready for Texas Multigun Nationals

Alaskapopo

Getting Ready for Texas Multigun Championship match 2012 with Noveske Rogue Hunter.

Ignore .308 groups on 4 corners

ScargroupsfrommidpointrestandNOveskepointofimpact.jpg

Long range load ready for Larue

Roguehunterwithlapuaload.jpg

Tested 77 grain Nosler load again

Nosler77test.jpg

Short range loads tested for Larue. I am using the 52 grain Sierra load as I am out of the Hornady bullets.

52grainloads.jpg

My accuracy with this gun (Noveske Rogue Hunter) seems to be declining. Some weird un called flyers are running my group averages. I may need to clean the comp. Not sure what is causing this. For the good news My 100 yard zero with 52 grain Sierras has the same hold points in my scope till 480 yards (max distance at Larue match ie Texas Multigun in April 2012) as my 77 grain Lapua load. My 100 yard zero with the 52s puts my 77 grain Lapua load 3 inches high at 100 yards which puts me on for a 220 yard zero with that load and then the hold points also match to 480 yards. I drew up a range card but its easy to remember in the Swarovski. First bar is 300 yards, the dot down from that is 400 yards the bar down from that is 480 yards. This is the same for both loads. All I have to do is remember to dial my scope down one click before any long range stage. If I forget the worst that will happen is I will be off 2.6 inches at 480 yards. The gun can do it, now I just need to be able to do it. That is another story. Shooting off of bags is easy. Shooting in whatever contorted position the match director has in mind at these targets with a 20 mile full value cross wind is another. I just have to remember not to go to war on the steel.

I plan on getting to a long range soon so I can confirm what is above. I also need to start practicing hard. Been a long cold snowy winter.

Edited by Alaskapopo

I'm getting nervous...our local February match got cancelled due to rain (so did the match at BOTW, same storm), the HM match for March already got canned (weather, again), the regular (non-HM) match scheduled for last weekend got pushed to this weekend...and last night we got a bit over 2" of rain in about 2 hours. Maybe more out at the range. (The storm that killed the HM match dumped 2" here in College Station, but 4" out at the range.)

It's damn tough to practice running a Garand when you can't, well, run the Garand, at least under match conditions. Shooting from a bench just ain't the same.

LaRue was supposed to be my fourth match, ever. May end up being my second.

Work schedule conflicts nuked my plans so I had to switch to shoot with the ROs and other staff on 14-15 April. That flattens what was to be my second match and "dry run" on all new gear before Texas. Ugh, I feel your pain.

To the OP and others, I must admit, I'm glad I'm not the only one with concerned about this match and its challenges!

Work schedule conflicts nuked my plans so I had to switch to shoot with the ROs and other staff on 14-15 April. That flattens what was to be my second match and "dry run" on all new gear before Texas. Ugh, I feel your pain.

To the OP and others, I must admit, I'm glad I'm not the only one with concerned about this match and its challenges!

I am just going to relax and shoot. Last time I went to Texas I had major stage fright and it did not help. I am not going to win. I want to do my best and have a good time.

Pat

I am just going to relax and shoot. Last time I went to Texas I had major stage fright and it did not help. I am not going to win. I want to do my best and have a good time.

Pat

My goals:

1. Don't get DQ'ed

2. Try not to embarrass myself too much.

Good news is, Fred says CCC is dry enough to shoot this weekend. Whoop!