Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder and yoke fell out on reload!

oldfrank

Today during an IDPA match as I was loading to start the stage, the yoke moved forward about 1/2" as I was loading with a Comp II. I was using a S&W 686-6

I went to a safe area and checked the yoke screw in the side plate and it was still tight. I took out the screw checked the plunger and put everything back together.

Everything worked for the rest of the match, about 60 more rounds, but it left me wondering if and when it would happen again.

I would appreciate any thoughts, hints or things to check to insure this won't happen again.

Thanks!

The plunger in the yoke screw is spring loaded. Push hard enough on the cylinder and you can push the cylinder and yoke forward. Some replace the spring in the yoke screw with a short steel rod (piece of paper clip) trimmed to length. Or take it a little easier, finesse instead of brute force.

Thanks for the tips and thoughts.

I soaked the yoke screw/plunger in penetrating oil overnight while the Hoppe's was cleaning the rest of the gun. The plunger never felt smooth so I did two things.

First I ordered a new one from Brownells and secondly I tore the one I had all apart. I did not have any #9 shot but I had 8 so I put one in the screw after discarding the spring, and replaced the plunger. I snugged the screw down and I had a little bind on cylinder opening/closing. I took out the plunger and rubbed the bottom on a stone about 10 strokes and put everything back together.

Cylinder opens and closes just fine and I cannot push the yoke out. I am going to try this for a while and see what happens.

Thanks!

Hi Frank,

My 686 just lost its cylinder on a reload at a match as well, screw was new and seated.. I've done the #8 shot trick after reading this and will run it like this next weekend. I'll post back here after a couple of matches or if anything notable happens, hopefully this will do the trick.

Rich